Sunday, October 30, 2016

Dec. 1862

Dec. 1862

Dec. 7, 1862
Gallatin December the 7th
Sunday evening
Dear Compainion   I receive your letter yesterday from Hiram St John and was glad to learn that you is as all well and I hope that thease times will find you all enjoying the same blessing I am well and in good spirits but am sory to here that you have some trouble about getting straw I dont think that I would of had any trouble about getting straw if had been at home and I dont see how Mr Starkey could treat you in the way he had in my absence When I had done as much for him as I did since he has been on the place when Mr Faris threashed his wheat I told him to stack the straw and I would pay him for it and I expect to pay him for it and of course expect to have some benefit of it but if he is not man enough to let you have a little straw let him keep it and dont bother your self about it and I think think that I will be at home before long and I will see that things is stratened up with him as for the farm the bargin between me and Mr Marsh is that I do not pay for no land only that when I get a crop off and I think that have not lost any thing on the farm this this season and I dont think that I will loose anything next year but if had thought it would have been the weey it is I would not have had any thing to do with it but dont let it trule you any more I would like to be at home just at this time but I cant get a furlough just at this time but I will be at home before long and I will see that things is straghtened up with him as for the farm the bargin between me and Mr Marsh is that I do not pay for no land only that which I get a crop off and I think that have not lost any thing on the farm this this season and I don't think that I will loose anything next year, but if had thought it would have been the weey it is I would not have had any thing to do with it but dont' let it trule you any more I would like to be at home just at this time but I cant get a furlough just at this time but I
Pg. 2
think I will get one before long if I don't do the best you can ask of you and I will be satisfied I wrote you concerning the hay in letter from Scottville and if you can get eighteen dollars a peace for the stackse that Runyan and Bishop claims they bought all right now to satisfy them that this was no bargin about the hay I will swear that I did not now what hay was worth at the time we was talking about the hay and consiquintly their could not have been any bargin as to price now I want William to forbid them toughing the hay and if they do take it unless they pay the ($18) dollars for them I will fee a lawyer for to bring suit against them and I will see what they pay for it this is the second letter I have wrote you from this place and supose that by this time you have received it and also they one I wrote you from Scottville or two I worte you on the same day I expect that we will have the place tomoro morning and I expect that we will get to a place called Heartsville on the Cumberland river I do not now whether we will come back here or not but I will write as soon as it is determined This is a very nice country and I think a good country for farming It snowed here on last Thursday two or three inches and was quite cool and it is quite cool yet but it is very nice Sun shine today and me and St John have been walking around I wrote Mr. March a letter but have not received any answer yet I think that you worte me that had got some foder when you get the hay
Pg. 3
you had better fill the more with hay and and get some straw from some place if you can and stack it in the yard I think that Starky will certainly let you have straw I do not now what reason he has for treating me or you in the maner he has for he certainly has more straw there than he wants to feed himself and the straw that Faris raised on the place is mine if wanted it and tow fifths of the straw that Starkey raised was mine and Starkey shere to be fed on the place I want to now whether you have got the receipt for the wheat that was put in the mill or not and I want to get it from Greely if you havnt got it you can tell Mr Starkey just what I tell you and see what he will say If I was there I dont think therer would be any trouble about getting straw Give my respects one and all I was at the 17th Regt Leiut Crossan he has a carbunckle on the back of his neck which is very sore Cretors has resigned his captancy at last and guess he will except the 1st Luetenantcy He is sick now and cant march with us tomorrow if we go our letter is B The second position in the regiment We have Springfield rifles On the road here at this time and will git there on Tuesday I expect we have plenty to eat and sleep comfortable when when we are in camp I fix bunks and put straw in them and then I lay one blanket over the straw and I take my over coat for a pillow and just three blankets
Pg. 4
and I sleep very comfortable I sent Flora a ring to her but I expect it to large for her if it is I will make her another one and send it to her Tell George that I have not answered his letter yet but I will soon and he must write me another soon I would like for him to write often and I will try and answer mre promptly It will learn him to write if there is no school this winter Try and learn the children as much as you can at home Georg can learn John and Alice It will and then will not forget quit all they they have learned, tell them I want them be good children and want them to mind the mother I would like to be with you all tonight very much and eat some apples with you but I have some very apples which will eat as soon as I clase my letter Good by for a short time Give my respects to onw and all
To Catherin Thompson
Thorton Thompson
P.S. This is a miserable poor pen

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - In this letter he knew he had a lot of information to cover and from the start he spaced his lines close.   The letter is still very readavle but he words are compressed.   A little heavy ink line on the downstroke that may indicate a worn nib.

       Historical Notes;
     Musket – The 79th Ohio was armed with either the M-1855 or M-1861 .58 Springfield Rifled Muskets.  At the start of the Civil War this was the most sought after infantry arm, it was light, fast to load (three shots a minute) and was sighted out to six hundred yards.   Thornton notes he spent all day looking for Henry Bushes 'Gun'. If they had not found it Henry bush would have been charged with losing it and $14 would be deducted from his pay. This was over a months pay.


From the collection of Ken Gough







Dec. 10, 1862
Gallatin Dec the 10 – 62 Wednesday Evening
Dear Compainion    I take my pen in hand this evening to write you a few lines in answer to your letter which I received this morning I was glad to here from you and also the here that you was all well    I am well and hearty I weigh one hundred and sixty pounds which is heavy than I ever weighed before so you can see that my health has been good since I have been in the army I am very well satisfied with the exception of being away from my family    I would like to be at homw with you very much but I supose that I cannot enjoy that that privlige for some time at least not long at a time but when things in this country shall change some which I think they will have the privlage of coming home and staying with you a short time at least but I think that It will be but a short distance perhaps not more than six miles I will write as soon as we stop and let you now.   The boys if generaly well from our neighborhood    Both in the Seventeenth and Seventy Ninth Herman St John was here this evening and he still improves in health In your letter you stated that You was at the masonic still I was glad to here that you was there and I would like very much to have been their to I am in hopes that you all had a pleasant and agreable time you stated that Mr William Starkey had give you a cut sing which I am sory to here but my advise to you is not
Pt. 2
pay any attention to anything they say for they are not worth minding As for the wood that gave Hicelry Starkey the privilage of cuting in old wood that is in the fields which is consitly falling on the meadows I gave him the privilage to cut what he wanted for his own use and take the balance of for they are just in the way all the time in the way and I expected that Elizabeth Cely to get wood in tha same place and told Starkey to see that who ever cut it cleared every thing out of the way I gave nobody privilage to get any wood onless it was Unkle John Kitisman I might perhaps give him privilage to take some old logs that lay in the woods which he paid me for and I paid March for when Ive settled for the rails I paid March for the tree that made them and March authorised me to sell all the old timber on the place which I settled for Als so it is none of Starkeys busness anything about it I think that Mr. Starkey got some wood which he paid me for and I paid March for just pay no attention to what they I would spend my breath to talk with them for if I live to get home I will settle the matter with Mr Starkey I am in hopes satisfactory I will make him take some things back his for planting corn on the place Mr Starkey now the understanding was about planting corn it was spoke about at the time as St John remembers what was said about it I told him that if March would agree to it he might plant corn in those old medows St John says that was the understanding
Pg. 3
It is getting late and I must close Tell the children to be good children and want them all to mind you and take good care of them all as you can I think that I will see you all before long my respects to one and all Good by for this time
To Cathrin Thompson
Thorton Thompson

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A good pen and ink was used in this letter.   Again a cramped style that was planed for at the start.   As it turns out he didn't need it as he finished the letter with plenty of space.   An unusual difference, at the end he placed his wifes name above his own.   Not sure about this. perhaps it was an oversight?





Dec. 15, 1862
Fayettville Via
Dec the 15th 1862
Dear sister & family I received a letter from you a few days ago but being busy working on our winter quarters I could not get time to right at home ane all would have liked But beta lait than never My health is good at present and I hope that these few lines may find you all the same We are now in our winter quarters and live at the top of the fat
Pg. 2
you wanted me to right and tell you how much that order was that's sent, it was seventy dollars there was a very suden death in our company on the 9th of this month John Butler we made a box and sent him home Ruban went with him I supose that they will bring him there to bury Elmare and too other of the boys that was left at Washington came back the other day and are ready for duty again
Pg. 3
well Catherine as Andy cant think of any thing to right maby both of us can fill this letter I had come back to the company and found them all hartey I was very glad to get away from the hospital as it was a very lonsem place All tha it was a very prety place and plenty to eat but the boyse of mine and company was on my mi8nd and nothing went right I was not in the same
Pg. 4
hospital that John and Jacob Hatcher was in there _______ I could not say how they are getting along well Catherin I supose you would like to see some money from the I will haf it _____th in a month or to but un less I get a furlow I will keep it until I com home and then I will pay you We both send you and the rest our best wishes Ed Cradis & A Thompson right same
       Historical Notes;
     Winter Quarters - Also known as 'Hutting up.'   This involves building low walls about 3 feet tall and pitching the tent on top, digging the inside down a foot or two and throwing the dirt against these walls.   This will help insulate the hut.   A rude fireplace is then dug beneath the wall and mud lined barrels are stacked up as a chimney.
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter was written with good pen and ink.   The top edge is badly worn as if it had been pulled from an envelope over and over.   However it came to me without an envelope.   It is not signed but judging from the contents I surmise it was written bu George Hitsman, Catherine's Brother.   He mentions Andy, I take it this is Andrew Thompson however I don't show them in the same Regiment.   Perhaps another family friend?








Dec. 19. 1862
       Camp Bucks Lodge
December the 19 Friday Evening
Dear Companion I take my pencl in hand this evening to answer your letter writen on the 12th of December _______ you stated that you was all well at that time except William and that he was getting better which I hope by this time he is well and hearty at this time   We are comfortably fine in camp We have a floor in our tent and have Conklin stay in it and it makes it very comfortable We _____ _____ to eat there is citizens here every day with pie and biskuts butter eggs and poltry so you see if we
Pg. 2
have the money I get some money of St John when he came here ten dollars but the rest of our mess is straped and I have to ____ade and there is four of us and you see that will not go very far, you said you would send me some money but I dont want you to send it yet for I think that we will get paid soon, but we have been looking for it so long that we have almost quit looking I expect that we will stay here for some time Perhaps all winter If we do, I think that I can get leave of absence sometime next month I dont expect I will have the pleasure of taking a part in eating that turkey of Unkle Charls I would like to do so very much and will if I can, but you must not look
Pg. 3
for me until I come, I am glad that you are making some collection at least enough for your own youse If mr. Runyan and Bishop think they bought those staks of hay last any____ I am not acceptable for them if they paid of note and acording to what they say, it their loss and not mine but I think if that had been the case, and hay had not raised in price their would have been altogether as offer twice, as as to the _______ now I want them to pay for my straw that was in the stacks, perhaps you might as well sell the balance of the hay but fast as you think best about it – Dec the 20th I was mustering last evening and did not finish my letter it was caused by one
Pg. 4
our company He went out side of our pickets yesterday and one of Morgans men to come across him and was about to parole him and our pickets was around and came up and the rebels run off them Henry Buch run and are that I very ascaped but he about it he got Buchs pistol and gun thir morning took a squad of eight men about five oh clock and went about two miles from camp by permision of Leiut Colonel _____am and found the gentlemen and arested him, and captured a very fine colts revolver and returned Bucks pistol and made him tell where the gun was He hid it in the woods and I have been all day hunting for it, I found it this evening about four oh clock, and I am guarding him in my tent I am insid and cant leave two men on the ouside _____ I _____ _____ to sign any to might for he is
Pg. 5
Continued
a sharpe skirmish folow and I am determined that he shall not escape while in my charge This the third time that he has been a prisoner acording to his own admission
____________________ line in crease and I can't make it out _____________________
twice but I think he is safe this time for I think that he is a spy and will be proven one, we are about elevin miles from Galtin and about one hundred and thirty seven miles from Louisville As for the oper lumber it can be had as cheep in Cininati and if you need immedeatly you had better send their for it but perhaps Billy has brought it by this time, tell Johnatan that as soon as I draw my pay
Pg. 6
I will pay him some money if you can spare the money and ned it you can give him some along as you can spare it, I would like for you to get money of Johns if you can and pay the tax to Mr Marsh and keep the recipt I supose that the first enstalment will be thirty dollars, get a good man to brush the cold if you can if Wm Conklin has not time I would like for James Hittsman to take it and break it I would as soon rush him as any man and if he wont old Bill to hitch beside him Let him have _______ tell to brush the cold and I will pay him for it get him to do it as soon as he can if he will do it atal The boys is all well ____ _____ John Long John is quite sick but I think 
Pg. 7
dangoyous he is were with us I had very plite invitation to dinner by a lady on Christmas about 2 miles from camp but _______ if I stay their I will have a Christmas dinner of my own thee other day and I think I shall have them for a Christmas roast, Captian Creators has a _____ his resignation excpected and I do not now whethr he will except the first Lieutenantcy or not His healt is not very good if he dose not I will ask for first Lieutentcy I supose that I have a chance of promotion in another company soon for this will be promotion in the regiment soon I am the singular second lieutenant I will have the refusall but I would not like to leave my company
Pg. 8
the seventyninth regiment has gone to Nashville I supose that you have learned that before this time, you must excuse me for not writing sooner This time I no excuse except that I have had to much to atend to but that is no excuse for I could write after night as I am doing now but there is generaly a good many in the tent of evenings and you are ordered that return I write I dont like to be bothered, I am on picket every other day and I dont get to sleep only every other night, well I must close my letter Give my respects to all I send Florias ring _____ to be careful and not _____ for I have no more cole to make her another Good by for this time I _______ yours until death
Thorton Thompson
To Catherin Thompson
       My thoughts
     Letter Condition - First, this letter was written in pencil that was not kept sharp. This makes it harder to decipher. As the sharpened pencil begins to dull the writing then begins to fade.   Second, pencils were expensive.   But as he was needed to write reports early in the morning and late at night pencils were needed and he was expected to have them.   The envelope was addressed to Mrs. Catharine Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   The 3 cent stamp was placed in the lower left hand corner and postmarked Dec. 22, 1862 at Gallatin, Tenn.
       Historical Notes;
     I see they have added a floor to their tent and invited Wm Conklin. This indicates they feel that this is where they will spend the winter.
     Pickets – These would be listening posts set up about a mile from camp every couple hundred yards. Their job was to fire at any advancing force to give warning to the camp. As each post was manned by 4 to 6 men they would of course, then be captured or killed.
     Morgan – Of 'Morgan's Raiders' The band of Confederate Gurillas working this area at this time.
     Parol – An outfit like Morgan's didn't have any means to take on prisoners so Henry bush was offered Parol. This was a signed aggrement to go home and await word that he had been exchanged before returning to military duty.
     Exchamge – As prisoners of war became a burden on both sides exchanges would be organised Private for private or three privates for one Sgt. And so on. Exchanged men would then receive a letter from their respective armys to report for duty. This time was not held against them.
     Pistol – I'm not sure who Henry bush was but the fact he had both a gun (musket) that tells me he was an enlisted man. Many soldier bought or were presented, pistols. They soon learned that this was just extra weight they could ill afford to carry. As the 79th had racked up an impressive record of marchs I'm supprised he still had it on him.
     Musket – The 79th Ohio was armed with either the M-1855 or M-1861 Springfield  .58 Rifled Muskets. Thornton notes he spent all day looking for Henry Bushes 'Gun'. If they had not found it Henry bush would have been charged with losing it and $14 would be deducted from his pay. This was over a months pay.
     Picket Duty – He would have been assigned charge of five or six picket posts. His camp would have been set up 4 or 5 hundred yards behind the line so he could respond to each as quickly as he could.








Dec 29, 1862
       Tuesday Evening
December the 29th – 1862
Dear Companion I sit down this evening to write you a few lines in answer to your letter and to let you that now that I am well and I hope that you are all enjoying the same blessing I should have written sooner but our mail communication has been cut off for several days and I thought that I would not write until the mail commenced running on the railroad I supose that you learned the partiklur about the track being torn up I supose you now more about it than I do for we dont get any papers here only once and awhile, when we have a chance to get them we have no chance and if we have a dollar bill we cant get a paper nor any thing else unless we go to the Sutler and they have nothing but tobaco and cigars at present and if we want a dimes worth or a quarter worth of anything they give it to you and the change in checks I dont now how you are off for change at home but I supose that it is scarse there it is rumered here to night that Rosecrans has taken Murfresborogh but I sont believe any report that I hear until I now it to be so but am in hoopes that it is true if it is so you have the news by this tiem I got $20 dollars of St John when he was here and if you have the money when he comes home or / I supose he got home on Chrismas morning if he was not delayed on the road, you can pay him the money back I got the money or to pay my fare home if get to come before I get my pay
Pg. 2
but is dont expect to come now until I get paid for I think that we will be paid next month and then I think I shall come home to stay a few days We are still at Bucks Lodge Station and I expect that we will stay here all winter We have fortified our position and it would take a considerable force to take us, we worked all day on Chrismas on ditchs and brestworks that is the way we took our Chrismas I am in hopes that you all had a pleasant time at home We are very comfortably fixed here and we have very fine wether here It as warm as spring and we have had but very little rain yet, it rained last Saturday all day and Saturday night I think, their was more rain fell on that day and night than have seen since I left Ohio, when St John comes you may send me another pair of socks and a silk hankerchief and one or two shirts if you have some whit shirts mad and I think you have send them, you spoke something about paying Mr Freeman if he wants his money pay him, and if John Hitsman sees fit to make the turn with Ludlam and get that not I will pay him as soon as I draw my pay If he wants the money I supose I will be sure to get pay next month we will get mustered on tomorrow for two months pay more we have we have our rolls ready, be sure and have my tools put in chest and kept there for I think that Will want to use them in his than two months for I think that this war will come to an end inside of that thime, I am glad that have got Unkle Charles with you for I now that he will take care of everything well, I supose you could do it but I
Pg. 3
think is to much for you in bad wether Tell Unkle Charles to weigh the hay and you write me how much they weigh, I heard that the 17th Regt was at Gallatin again but I am not certain that they are their, if John has note preged those John Ely I think he had better send them by St John for it is very uncertain How soon he would get them even if the cars was running for this has bun thing sent to this regiment was one month getting here, if you can get a nice lot of butter and box it up and get St John to express it here it would be very nice I would not care if I had thirty pounds We have to pay forty cts a pound for butter when we get it but we have prety much quit paying forty cts a pound for butter Apples is scarse here there is some com in to camp but they want fifteen cts a dozen for them and nothing extra at that I would have you send me a great many things from home by express if the line was not crowed so with busness if it was amount of goods and other matter that is expressed you could send boxes of things from home and they would reach me whare I am in two days or three days anyhow I think I would like to have you send some pigs first when you butcher and some souce and some mince pies, we without joking I would like for you to send me a quire or tow of paper with St John when he comes for the Sutler is out more than half the time and the government has never furnished us a sheet of paper since I came into the service I dont now what is the reason
Pg. 4
but go to the Quartermaster and he has none and says he can get it, I would like to now how Floria likes her ring I sent her and all is to be good girles and want George and John to be good boys and go to school and to learn all they can I believe you did not tell me who it was that was going to Teash a select school and what room she is going to ocupy, if their was any in your letter that have not answered in this you will have to mention it in your nex for I lost your letter some how well I will close for it is ten oh and I have to go on picket tomorrow and I have to get up at half past four in the morning and dont sleep when I am on picket duty I have charge of a line of pickets about a mile long and have to visit them three times during the night to see if they are all right and you see that I not much chance to sleep my respects one and all that wished them Milton Ent is well and appears satisfied and he will be promoted to sergent in a few days and I supost that A Cordington will be promoted to orderly sergent in a few days for I supose Sergent Kasvy will be discharged and am sory for it for he is a first rate man and _____ is the best orderly there is in the 79th Regt I think that I will get John Hitsman in as Corpiral, good by for a few days Pleas to write all the particulars that you can think of give my respects Mr and Mrs Conlkin Mrs. Kendy and and Polly John Hitsman and family Mother Hitsman and Aunt Polly am and tell them all to write I do not now I so not now where they fifty second regiment is _______ _____ to _______ any information that is time but the boy is _____ _____ think that _______ Lee _____ about them if I go to Nashville he is their I will hunt him up and if I find him I write
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Even with planing for a long letter at the end he cramped the last five lines.   He used a good pen and ink but still got some blums.   This late in the season I don't think this would have been caused by damp paper, perhaps runny ink?
       Historical Notes;
     Breastworks – A field defensive position constructed by building a low wall 3 to 4 feet high then digging down behind it and throwing the earth against the front of the wall. This would stop muslet balls but not artillery.
     Mail - Thorton Thompson in over twenty of his letters kept track of when letters were posted and when he received them.   Time in route was about five days.   Even when he noted problems with the railroad, due in most part by Morgans men and moving camp while the mail was in transit, this only added about three days to the trip. 
     Socks - The army issue socks were not much more that wool cloth sewn into a tube.   Home made socks was one of the most requested items from home.
The Socks laid out are from 1860 civilian patterns
The one being worn is a 1790 pattern
Yarn spun by Beth Gough and Knitted by
Diana Gough
     Sutler – A merchant authorised to sell to soldiers on a military post. Each regiment was allowed one. Not all regiments did as the profit margin was low contrary to what the soldiers thought. Prices may have been inflated but a limited customer base made this an unatractive venture at best. The Sutler would morph into the post Exchange or PX of today.




No comments:

Post a Comment