Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sept. 1863

Sept. 1863

Sept. 3, 1863
Nashville   Sept the 3rd / 63
Dear Kate   I received yours of the 3rd of August the 30th this morning   I am sory to here that you are afflicted with a sore eye but I hope that is will not last long   I am well at present I have not heard from my Leave of Absence yet but I supose that I will by the last of this week, I feel in hopes that it will be approved this time   I will start a letter the day before I start if I get to come so you will now about the time I arive at home   I want you to meet me at the railroad, but dont let the letter make you think that I am coming certain that I am coming for you may be disapointed   I have saw Benjamin Harper since I came here   He is afflicted with the
Pg. 2
and has not done any duty for some time   I saw John Neek   He was here two days last week   He has gone to the 2ond Ohio Regiment   I also saw David Faris he was here to to see me last week and saw H Csood Paster and John Seth and Burriss Bowman   Bowman has a very sore eye with this exception he looks well theas boys has been here in the hospital since the fight at Hooverts Gap the Halth of the Regiment is about s comond   I feel sorey for the poor deluded Vooan figh anites   I hope they will see the erer of their ways and turn their from, this is all at present   I will write the last of the week again   Yours till death send my love to you all the children
Thorton Thompson
Catherin Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - The words are well formed and the ink is good and dark.   The pen is slightly worn with some heavy bleed through in places.   There are many small ink blums.
     Between pages 1 & 2 there seems to be some missing information.   He must have thought he had written it but he didn't.








Sept. 20, 1863
Nashville, Tenn
                   Sept. the 20th / 63
                         Lieut Thompson Sir
                                        Having herd of your illness and thinking it would be some time before you would be able to rejoin the Regt I thought I would draft you a note telling you that you need not get me a coat in Cincinati, as Im in need of it know, and will get it here   Col Kenneth T. Lonporal, Job, of Co D have returned they only got six recruits for the Regt   There is nothing of importance accuring here it
Pg. 2
thought that thea will leave for the front in a few days
       Wea was paid off the other day.   The boys are having a big time of it.   I havent eney news to write so I will drirt   Hoping you will soon be able to return
Im as ever
Your obt Servet
Sergt Whenoy

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Hand writing is good.   Ink is fair with a slightly worn pen nib dropping heavy lines on the downstroke.   Envelope is addressed Lieut T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   There is a 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner and the postmark is dated Sept. 21, 1863, Nashville, Tenn.





Sept. 23, 1863
Galt House
September 23 / 63
     Dear Kate   I take the 5oh train for Louisville   I did think of returning home this evening and get my Leave of Absence which I left in the day book but I continued to go without it   I send you a half don photographs   Give one to Ann Conklin and one to Mrs Kindig   The rest do as you please with 
Yours effectonatly
T. Thompson
Good by
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Writing is good.   Pen and ink is very good.   This is to be expected as he is using either a hotel or railroad pen and ink.   The envelope is marked "Galt House, Corner of Main and Sixth Sts, Cincinnati.  $1 Per Day, WM. E. MARSH, SR., PROPR.   The envelope is addressed upside down,   Mrs. T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   There is a 3 cent stamp in the lower left hand corner.   The postmark is Sept 24, Cincinnati, O.   The envelope is stamped DUE 6 cts.
     I'm not sure if the finial postage was 6 or 9 cents but to need that much postage I have to wonder if these were CDV's, tintypes, or ambrotypes which would weigh the most.








Sept. 24, 1863
Louisville   Sept 24 / 63
     Dear Kate   I arrived her at 12oh to day all right   Will leave here tomorrow morning at 8oh for Nashville   I would of been on the road from here to Nashville if the train had not failed to make the conection at Seamour last night   I hope you are all well at least as well as you was when I left you   I will write as soon as I get to Nashville
Yours effectionatly
T Thompson
      My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink very good with no bleed through.




Sept. 26, 1863
Nashville   Sept the 26th / 63
Dear Kate   I arrived here last evening as well as I was when I left home   I found the Regiment where it was when I left, it the Regiment is in very good health at present   I heard from Capt Foxs Company to day   Seven of his Company is wounded, George Ent   Edwin St John   Wm Fininar   George and Edwin woundeds are slight   Wm Finnes is supose to be mortal   We are looking for them in Nashville   Capt Fox and John Ely was all right when last heard from   Send me Leave of Absince in your letter you will find it in the day book   You need not send the Muster Roll until I send for it   I dont now as I will need it at all
Pg. 2
the probability is we will not be sent to the front no more at this time
Yours effictionatly
T Thompson
P.S.   Send you those photographs, get an album and past them in get a nice one
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This seems to be a very fine point pen nib that is badly worn.   The ink is also faint.   I can't tell if the ink may have been a colored ink, Red or green perhaps, or has faded through the years.
     I can find no battle that was fought by the 79th during this time.   I can only suppose this was an action with Capt. Fox's company while guarding the rail lines.   However this is only my thinking with nothing to support it.



No comments:

Post a Comment