Sunday, October 30, 2016

Feb. 1863

Feb. 1863
Feb. 22, 1863
     Gallatin Tenn Feb the 22 – 63
Dear Kate I seat myself this afternoon Sunday the 22nd day of February the birthday of Washington to write you a few lines in answer to your letter dated the fifteenth I was glad to learn that you was all well as common and I am glad that you are a getting along with the buseness as well as you are You have sold the colt and I supose that it was the best that could be done with it you say you got ($70) dollars for it I do not now what horse is worth there, at this time so I can not tell wether you got a good price or not but the way it was an expense and not profit to you, you spoke about that not of Mr Sharps, that belongs to Mr Durow It was not considered in our settlement and you keep the note and when Mr Durrow comes you can give it to him and dont and dont forget to take the pay for the hunny if he has not give credit on the note the hunny was three dollars I believe Perhaps you recolect what it was, I wrote a few lines to Mercr Neelvan the next day after I wrote to you in which I stated that we had marching orders which turned out to be nothing A scare we did not march and I dont expect that we will march soon, If this letter arived before John Hitsman starts here as I expect he will come from what St John
Pg. 2
tells me I would like for him to fetch me an officers blouse and vest and hat if he can fetch then I want good article and I would like for him to bring me enough of Comon Luster to sent new lining in my old blouse    Give my respects to John Hatchet and tell him that soldiering is not a pleasant busness By no means but we must whip the rebles and I am willing to do my share and I think that every loyal man in the United States North and South should do all in their power in their way either by fighting or use their influence in that direction of the opinion that there is not that patrotisum  in the United States that should be or this damnible rebelion would have been supprised before this time If the loyal states was as aeterminded that the union should be pressured as the rebel states is that it shall be severed This war would not last long I have not written a letter to the boys in the 12th since I left home and am ashamed to say so but the most of the time I did not now where they was but I will write to them soon and tell John to give them all my best respects and wish I am sory that John and Jacob has been so unfortunate but, still I think that they have been fortunate to pass through what they had to, tell Mr Ent that Charles Fox wrote me a letter from Murffresboro, if he would send
Pg. 3
me a recipt for the money he ows him he would send me the money and I might send it to him He can do as he pleases about it Mr Kingleer was here this week and Mrs West and brought us a nice box of provisions, 4 or five ducks three hearowls several Lbs of butter can of peaches pears blackberrys respberrys mapel molasus fried apples blackeyes onions potatoes peper spice tea and other articles to tedious to mention St John is a going to do well if has luck I think he has a good chance to make money, I will close my letter I hope that when this comes to hand they find one and all enjoying good health and the comforts of a peaceful home when the horses os war has never reached you except the aclaims of friends and loved ones at home, Good for a few days, when I shall write again
Thorton Thompson
Catherin Thompson
P. S. You need not write to Mr. Corwil___ I will write to him I wrote him a letter some time ago but never received an answer
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter was written on ruled paper that was designed to be folded in half.   The pen and ink seems to have been of good quality however there is some bleed through.
    At this time Washington's birthday was important and celebrated the way we do the 4th of July.
       Historical Notes;
     Officers Blouse - Commonly known as an Officers Sack Coat.   This was the everyday uniform coat with a loose cut and large pockets.
Officers Blouse
From the Collection of Ken Gough

       Tin Cans - This was still a relatively new and expensive process. He refers to 'Sodered Cans.' The way this was done was to seal the contents and then heat the cans. A small hole in the top then had a drop of molten lead dropped on it and the can was allowed to cool. This would in effect vacum pack the contents.









Feb. 26,1863
Gallatin Tenn Feb the 26 – 63
Thursday morning
Mrs T Thompson I sit down this morning to converse with you for a short time by way of letter I would much rather you was present for if we was to get her I think we would have quite lengthy chat together but so it is, I am quite well at present and I cincerly hope when theas few lines arive you will all enjoy the the same blessing I still feel in hopes that when I receive my pay I will be permited to pay you a short visit but I do not want to come if if can help it before the health of our regiment is about the same Those that are sick are generaly getting discharges and some perhaps that are not much the matter with them soon pretend to loose their speech and some their hearing some blind some lame some half wited and some reumatisum some consumption of the lungs and throt and every other disease imaginable, and I supose that all those diseases prevail to some extrnt but more that half of the cases that are discharged have no disease about them except a certan kind of heart disease I supose there is no doubt of the fact that the medical department has become so corupt that from five dollars to fifty is
Pg. 2
suficant cause for a man to get a discharge It appears that money is the disease that disqualifies a person for service here there is something wrong here in the medical department and the sooner they are exposed and when suficent evicence of the fact is procuced I say all such trators and I would like to help do it there is, in my opinion trators eonected with every dipartment of our army and the loyal states there is plenty of them and until we got rid of these things, I want call them men, our army can not prosper as it should, yesterday morning it commenced raining and about ten oh we got orders for three days rations in gaversacks and be ready to march at a moments warning We got ready got our dinner and at one oh we got orders to to report in Gallatin   Immedeatly we pulled up the tents and all the rest of the companies the same got a wagon of ammunition The Quartermaster prepaired a load of provisions in addition the three days rations we had in our haversacks and we started and went to Gallatin through the rain The boys all in good spirits thinking their was some prospect of a fight when we got there we formed a line in the street and I supose we stood their one hour and a half and th staff officers was riding up and down the street at a great rate and putting on considerable style, at last Colonel Harson a grandson of General
Pg. 3
Harson and Colonel of the 70th Indiana, and acting Brigadere General of the Brigade came riding up and anounced that the order was countermanded, such things as this infrequint and some time I think is for nothingels only to put on style, I will close by giving love to you and the children and my respects to all the friends, Milton Ent is well
Thorton Thompson
Catherin Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink seem to be of good quality.   Letter formation is a little cramped but easily readable.
     As far as the three days rations.   This was the standard food issue during the Civil War.   The men cooked the meat ration and usually ate it the first day before it went bad and relied on hardtack and coffee to get them through to the next issue.









Feb. 29, 1863
Gallatin Feb 29th – 63
Saturday 1oh P.M.
Dear Kate I again take my pen in hand to answer your letter of the 23rd I am glad to here that you are all as well as you are and also to here that you are getting along so well We are still at Gallatin I am well I have plenty to eat at present and my duty is fight drill being the principal part of present    To day we muster for pay again being the third time I do not now the amount of time we will be paid for certain but I supose that we will be paid to the first of January and I am in hopes the paymaster will pay us a visit soon I can not tell you whether I will get a furlow or not yet as soon as we get paid I can determine and if I do not get to come to pay you a visit you can come and visit me if you wish and if you are around you may bring George with you By that time perhaps we can determan whether we will stay here any length of time If you come I want you to fix your self comfortable and get your self suitable dress and George also if he comes if you send any more boxes send buter and if you have potatoes send som I gues you
Pg. 2
if I should not get to come home you had better get some one to reset the fences from the corner to the stable and I think I have the garden fences this spring I would like to now whether any of the fruit trees died If they have got nice May cheerys and replace them pleas to let me now about them, I saw St John yesterday He is as well as common and I think he has a chance to make money and he will make money fact if you should all stay here for some length of time he can sell to all the regiments in the brigade and if we should stay here during next summer it is my opinion he can clear ten thousand dollars Captain Wilson wife is here and expects to stay some time, I am glad to here that the children is learning fast and it pleased me to here that Allice could read tell them I want them all to be good children and I want them to obey their mother and be kind to one another I will close my respects all
P.S. Tell Mr Ent for me that we promoted Milton to Fourth Sargent, he is coming up he must be at the other to boys.
Pg. 3
Good by for a few days
Thorton Thompson
To Mrs T. Thompson
       Historical Note;
    File Closer, 3rd through 5th Sergeants - These Sergeants were posted two paces behind the line.   They had a number of jobs.   In the heat of battle orders from the Captain could not be heard down the line so they would make sure the men under their control were doing the right thing.   If there were any malfunctions with muskets they would trade theirs for the musket on the line.   They would clear the musket and return it.   Privates only had cleaning tools, anything that required a screwdriver had to be done by a Sergeant who was issued a screwdriver and a wrench. 
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good pen and ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment