Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sept. 1862

Sept. 1862

Sept. 18, 1862
Sept the 18th 1862
In camp three miles back buck of Covington   I received your letter yesterday and was glad to her that you was all well   I am well and have been ever since I left home   You spoke something about coming to see me   They will allow ladies to cross the river but I would like for you to come very much and as soon as you can get to come   I will write and let you now   I will come home as soon as I can get a furlow   I want you to tell Starkey to let Wm Conklin to hove straw and he will hall straw for free and fix the shed   I had spoke of there is a prospect of us moving but I dont now where I want John to attend to the shop if he needs any help Johns their will help
Pg. 2
You can go to Lebenon and attend to that business yourself and mind that St John has that tax claim satisfied   Get Starkey to split what wood that is in woods and hall if   St John ows me ten dollars that he borrowed of me that was not settled   You can have it credited on the note that he hold against me   If Mr Clemmins sees fit to pay his note and take up my note that Freeman holds against me it will suit me   I want you to get brother Colston to take the colt and and the hogs that you dont want to keep and dispose of the hogs and keep the colt and brake it and I will write yo him what he shall do with it   I am in much of a hurry and must go on duty immediately   Take care of yourself and children   Tell them to be good children and 
Pg. 3
tell John to learn to write as soon as he can so he can write me a letter   I want you to get some one to fix wood for winter and saw and split it and pile it up handy to the house so you have it ready when bad wether   I must close   When I get time I will write and advise you as much as I can as soon as I draw my pay I will send it you their two months pay du now but I dont now when we will get it   The boys are all well and I never had better health in my life   Good by for a while
Remain yours until death
T. Thompson
To C. Thompson
Give my regards to all
           T. Thompson

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter was written with what seems to be slightly thin ink.   The pen seems to be in good condition as the letters are well formed.   However there is a heavy ink line in the downstroke.   The envelope is addressed to Mrs. Catharine Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co, Ohio.   There is a 3 cent stamp placed in the lower left hand and it is postmarked on Sept. 8, 1862 at Newport.
     With this letter starts a theme that will dominate most letters from Thorton.   How does he manage his shop through his wife.   The good news was he seemed to keep good books so he was able to have her refer to them when dealing with his customers.
     As far as getting enough wood split and stacked at the house.   Mid September is a little late in the year to do this.   Maybe he already had most of it ready before he left and just needed to 'Top Off' what he knew would be needed to get the household through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment