Sunday, October 30, 2016

June 1863

June 1863
June 5, 1863
     Murfreesboro June the 5th – 63
Dear Kate I received yours of June the 1st to day It found me well I was glad to here that none of the family was very sick was sory to here that all are afflicted with colds I am still here with the Pioner Corps yet It apears to take some time for any thing to be done in this line The paper, has been laying here for eight or ten days, the Capt commanding the batalion is at home on a furlow, the man that is commanding apears to be wating for him him to return before papers is sent, The order came to day ordering him to report to his regiment I look for him tomorrow His time will be up then as soon as he comes I will org the matter My regiment has come to the front It is as Lavern on the railroad between here and Nashville they arriged here last Wednesday the whole brigade is there I see from your letter St John is as home and has been home since he was here I wanted him to bring me some things when he went but I supose he will start back before this reaches home so I will have to wait until
Pg. 2
he gets again If I dont get to come home before that time I think I will get clear of this institution soon and then I think I shall perhaps get to visit you if the prospect is not th good for a fight between this army and Braggs army There is skirmishing almost every day now with the enemy Yesterday there was brisk canonating in the direction of Franklin The particulars I have not learned I supose you will get them in tomorrow The troops are moving soon for the last few days but the is not a general movement taken place yet but I would not be surprised if there would at any time this army is ready at any moment to move It has been raining almost every day since last Saturday It is raining tonight This is all the news I have at this I want you to tell all the children that I want them be good children and obey you take good care of them and yourself and I will do the best can for myself and you and them Give Wilie a kiss for me I think I will soon gbe home to give you a kiss and stay a few days at least but if I came I dont expect to stay lang enough to do any business My greatest concern is to see my family Good by for this time
T Thompson
C Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink of good quality.
     The Pioneer Corps supplied the labor force for any major building projects that were needed by the army.







June 9,1863
Murfreesboro June 9th / 63
Dear Kate I received yours of the 5th to day    Was glad to here you was all well I am well I am still at this place, My papers was sent to headquarters to day      The change recommended by the commander of this battalion and I supose I will return to my regiment in a few days which is at Lavern about fifteen miles from this place between this place and Nashville I think this army will move in a few days but I supose that the 79th Regt will stay where it is perhaps for some time      I heard from St John to day    He is well I am glad to here that you have a good prospect for vegitables I am glad to here that Alice can read I would like to here her read very much Tell her to learn to read and as well as she can against I come home      I want John to write me a letter soon so I can see how well he can write    You say Willie is frequintly calling for me I think if I get to my regiment I will get to come home soon      If I dont I cant tell tell when I will come I do not expect to draw any pay next time we are paid    If we are not paid before I return to the regiment I think this army will be paid perhaps in the next two weeks I understand that some of the paymasters is paying here now it will make no difference if I dont get paid I can get what money I want from the boys if I get a chance to come home I have no means to write concerning matters here since I last wrote
Pg. 2
I expect I shall return to my regiment in a few days and I will write you you as soon as I arrive there If I dont before I start they say at headquarters that my papers may come in two days and they may not come for two weeks but I think they will come in a few days, My respects to one and all Tell John Hitsman to write and let me here how he gets along with the provo business Good by for this time
Thorton Thompson
Catherin Thompson
P.S. The blackberries is turning read and will soon be ripe here Their is plenty of them here and there is plenty to get her them
       Historical Note;
     Provo – This is the military police properly called Provost Marshal.
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good pen and ink used.








June 15, 1863
June the 15th / 63
Lavern     79th Regt O.V.I.
Dear Companion   I am well I have just arrived at my Regiment and will now in a few days whether I will get to come home or not   I was one day too late to get my pay and will not get paid until the paymaster comes again   I will write again in a few days
Yours effectonatly
T Thompson
to Thompson
P.S. Direct to Lieut T Thompson
Company B   79th Regt OVI
Via Nashville
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink used was good.   Letter written on a half sheet of ruled paper.










June 21, 1863
Lavern   June the 21st / 63
Dear Kate   I received your letter a few days ago   I delayed writing two days thinking I would give you some ide when I would be at home of which I cab not give yet   I an going to ask for a Leave of Absence to day for twenty days   It may be granted and it mat not as their apears to be a prospect of active opperations in this department at this time but  I think I will be home between this and the first of August as I gave waited so long the first of August would suit me very well then I would be home in hotest part of the season but  I will come as soon as I can get leave of the General   I will here from my papers by the last of this week then I will write you again and inform you about eh time   I will write you again and inform you about the time I will be home if I get leave   It has been very warm here for the last two weeks, this morning
Pg. 2
it is very cool   We have been looking some for Morgan   The last twenty four hours, we was notified last evening that Morgan was eleven miles this side of Lebanon on the road leading for this place and to be ready to give him a warm reception    We got ready but he hasnt come yet   I was two late in getting to the Regiment to get paid    The paymaster left the asme day that I got here but if I get to come home I can get my money in Louisville or Cincinati    I I dont get to come home soon I want you to send me a suit of clothes with K St John when he comes here again   I will send with him what I want and he will buy them and you can pay him the money if have it   If you havent got it perhaps you can get of someone   I am very nearly out of clothing as I have never bought any since I left home except a vest and some comon pants I got of the Quartermaster   The Officers of the 79th is puting on a great deal of style at this time and I guess I will have to comence puting on some
Pg. 3
style or I will not be concidered in with them   I want a dress suit and a blouse and a pair of boots and two or three woolen shirts, I want to be at home about the time draft takes place   If can the soldiers are all very indignant at the ide of the Demmocracy nomminating Volleon for Governor of Ohio and the will give a unanmous vote agains him if the gentleman was to pass through this army going bact to Ohio to take his seat as Governor   He ever would get there the railroad would be torn up the cars stoped and I would not give five cents for the chance of his life but there is no danger of his being elected for the Ohio soldiers has a vote for state office  this fall and the Democratic will bee beat one hundred thousand   I am very ancious to see you all and if I dont get a leave to come home I would not be suprised if I would resign but I supose they would not expect it   I want you to give Willie a kiss for me tell the rest
Pg. 4
children I want them to be good and obey their mother   I will fetch them something nice when I come home Good by for this time   Hoping that I will soon have the pleasure of being with you all soon
Yours effectionatly
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink used was good.   Text lines wander a bit.
       Historical Notes;
     Morgan – Of 'Morgan's Raiders' The band of Confederate Guerillas workinbg this area at this time. 
     Officers Blouse - Commonly known as an Officers Sack Coat.   This was the everyday uniform coat with a loose cut and large pockets.
     Common Pants - As Officers had to pay for their uniforms the common pants he got off the Quartermaster was the standard issue sky blue enlisted mans pants.   He would have been charged around $1.75 for them if the Quartermaster even listed it.










June 25, 1863
Lavern   June 25th / 63
Dear Kate   I seat myself this morning to answer your letter which I received Monday, one on Monday and the other on Tuesday   I stated in my last letter that I had asked for a Leave of Absence which can not be granted at this time except on a surgeons cirtificate but perhaps in a few weeks things will change so I can get home   The doctors told me to play sick for a while and would give me a cirtificate but I dont propose to plat sick when I am not sick   This it the way the most of the Officers gets to go home   I think men in the army should be thankful if they are blessed with good health therefore I think it wrong to feign sickness   I would like very much to visit you and the children but I wount pretend to be sick when I am in good health   I think it very wrong   I think that 
Pg. 2
the time is not for distant when I will be permitted to visit my family honorable without making fals pretentons   Some of the Officers are excused from duty about half the time by saying they are sick   I have the first time to ask to be excused from duty yet and I hope the first time may never come as long as I have my health   I am ready to do my duty let it what it may if it to go on Picket there stand all night in the rain to watch the approch of the enemy or to take part in batle   I am ready to do my duty, this is what I came here to do, the duty that I owed to my Country is what induced me to leave my family as I did   Would to God this war was done with and this distracted Country was once more at peace   This is what the soldiers would like see, but not till the last Trator has laid down his arms, I would not be surpprised if our army and Braggs are fighting at this time
Pg. 3
ours troops have been moving for two or three days and if Bragg stands there will be a battle and perhaps a sever one   Evrything indicates that a battle is going on or strong expectations of one, there has been troops moving on the railroad for two days with artilery horses ambulances a great many ambulances   This indicates a battle   I think the troops that was at times a great many of them has advanced to Shelbyville about 25 miles from Triune   I think our troops ocupy that place at this time   You may expect triring news from this department soon   St John expects to be home next week and if you can spare the money I want him to bring me a suit of clothes   I will send some money   Perhaps twenty dollars   I got thirty two dollars from Charles Fox which I want you to pay to his wife when she calls on you for it   We look for the paymaster soon
Pg. 4
and then I will send you some more money   If I dont come home as for the harness get John to see what he can get harness in Cincinati for I think that the price that Ingersol asks is high for plane harness   If John can get them in Cincinati cheaper get them there   That is if he can get them much cheaper   I want to patronise Ingersall if if he dont put the Tarif on to high   I want Jonathan to drive two horses when you can get them without to much trouble   If I had the money I could by the Sutler of this Regiment out very reasonable at this time as he wants to go home   I supose John would not come and take it if he would I would like to be partners with him   Show him this letter and if he has any notion he can write me immedeatly   I can get his tent two horses harness for $600 and the concession   I think that a man can clear five hundred dollars a month inb this regiment   My respects one a all, I remain your effectonate husband until death
T Thompson
C Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Letters are well formed.   Lines are dark on the downstroke.   Bleed through is there but with the dark ink is not a distraction.
       Historical Notes;
     Sutler – A merchant authorised to sell to soldiers on a military post. Each regiment was allowed one. Not all regiments did as the profit margin was low contrary to what the soldiers thought. Prices may have been inflated but a limited customer base made this an unatractive venture at best. The Sutler would morph into the Post Exchange or PX of today.









June 29, 1863
Monday evening   June the 29th / 63
Dear Kate   I seat myself this evening to answer your letter of the 24th   I received it yesterday while on Picket   Was very glad to here that you was all well   I am well   I am quite sleepy to night I dont sleep any when on picket   Tomorrow all of our Brigade moves to Murfreesboro except the 79th Ohio   The 102 Ill is five miles above here   I dont now whether they move or not   I would not be surprised if we go in a few days   We may stay here for some time   Our forces is in posession of Tulahoma so I learned this evening   We muster for pay tomorrow again   I have money enough to do me here but if St John comes home this week I want you to send me some clothing if you can spare the money   To get them I will send you a bill of what I would like to have and my clothes
Pg. 2
I want John Hitsman to buy them or St John   I think they can get them at whole sale price and they wont cost me so much   I would not get a dress suit but I am all the Officer in the Regiment but what has one and I will have to get one   I now gave you a list of what I want
1 Dress Coat Dark Blue with Prety good straps
1 pair pants dark blue with light blue cord
1 Vest dark blue
1 Officers blouse
2 nice woolen shirts
1 box of good paper collers
1 sash
1 good sword belt of good leather
1 pair of good calf boots
I want all to be farily good article and of manufacture that wont fade   I want a hat and cord
If you havent got the money to spare which I dont beleive you have dot send the things if you cant
Pg. 3
Get the money of somebody   We expect to be paid of in a few days again and then I will send you some money   I want you to get the wagon fixed and then I want you to get the harness fixed up and dont lone them to anyone except some of your particular friends and dont lend the horse except in extraordinary and cases, only to those you are under obligation to    I sent you aletter the first of this week   I expect it was delayed on the road there was a Torpedo placed on the track and the trains was delayed for two days   I send you a nice ring which I made my self out of a very nice shell   I want you to preserve it as a momento of the Battle of Stone River   There was four of our brave Ohio boys fell in a few feet of where I picked up the shell   I have some very nice colored shells which I will will make you another and some
Pg. 4
for the children   If I had tools I could make some very nice trinkets but I have no tools fir to work with   As for the money I owe Mr Corwin I will settle with him when I come home and will come as soon as I can   I have wrote to him once or twice but never get any answer   I would like to now if there has anybody volunteered in the six months service from our neighborhood   Tell John I would like for him to pick those clothing out or get St John to and send me a bill of them so I will now what they cost   I am in hopes thease will be all the military clothing I will need while the war lasts   I am in hopes that the war will soon be settled ad I think that it will   No more this time   My respects to all
I remain yours until death
T Thompson
Catherine Thompson
Pg. 5
       Note;
This was in the same envelope 
     I expected to see St John before he went home   I learned to day from a note that I received from him that he started last Monday and I saw the Quartermaster of the 102 to day and he said he had gone   If you get this in time for him to bring them send them with him   I send you the measure and I think the suit will fit   If they come acording to measure the sise ogf the hat is 7 3/8   Boots No 9 large   If St John wants to take the Sutlership of the 79th he can buy it no reasonable if he wants it and John Hitsman dont want it   Tell him to write me imedeatly and say what he will give for it
Pg 6
We have ten Companies   I present the Sharpshooter is with us now   Our forces are in possesion of Manchester and Tullihoma and Shelbyville   I want a bill of the clothing
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good quality ink was used.   It looks like the pen is worn with ink blums in the usual places.   Some bleed through but with the dark ink is not a distraction.
     Enlisted men had clothing issued on a time frame.   If they needed more it was deducted from their pay.   Officers were responsible for all their uniforms and clothing.   Also there was no set uniform so depending on the tailor, they could customize their uniforms a bit.
       Historical Note; 
     Mail - Thorton Thompson in over twenty of his letters kept track of when letters were posted and when he received them.   Time in route was about five days.   Even when he noted problems with the railroad, due in most part by Morgans men and moving camp while the mail was in transit, this only added about three days to the trip.
     Torpedo - Also known as 'Infernal Machines'   In late 1862 the Torpedo Service was created by the Confederate forces.   The torpedo was what we now call a mine.
     Pickets – These would be listening posts set up about a mile from camp every couple hundred yards. Their job was to fire at any advancing force to give warning to the camp. As each post was manned by 4 to 6 men they would of course, then be overrun and  captured or killed.
     Picket Duty – He would have been assigned charge of five or six picket posts. His camp would have been set up 3 or 4 hundred yards behind the line so he could respond to each as quickly as he could.
     Officers Blouse - Commonly known as an Officers Sack Coat.   This was the everyday uniform coat with a loose cut and large pockets.
Officers Blouse (Sack Coat) with Sash.
The dark red is for Company Grade Officers

     Short Service - As the war progressed it became clear that using top of the line combat troops in rear area guarding duties (POW camps, rail lines, bridges, etc.) was a waste of manpower.   The answer was using older men and younger men in short service regiments.   They were enlisted for service from 3 months, 100 days, 6 months, and 1 year.

No comments:

Post a Comment