Sunday, October 30, 2016

Dec. 1863

Dec. 1863

Dec. 2, 1863
Cincinati Decm 2d 63
Mrs Thorton Thompson
Dr Madam
When your husband was on his return to the army a few months since I saw him in this city & he said to me that if I would send you the amount of my account that he was sending you money You would pay me - I have since twice since given a statement & you probably have it with some papers - including the intrest it ampimnts to over 15000 but if you would send me that much I will give you a recipt in full -
Please to w_______ him from you
Respectfully
H Corwin
Box 1114

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Poor word formation with heavy ink and a well worn pen makes this letter very hard to read.   Envelope addressed to Mrs. Thorton Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner with a postmark of Dec. 2, Cincinati, O.




Dec. 10, 1863
1863
Butlerville    Friday    Dec the 10th
Dear Sister and Brother
This evening finds me started to write to you My family is all well so are your children and well satisfied Willy never asked about you neither does Flora They think as much of Mary as they do of you Mary says you can stay and cook for them and they will keep house she likes house keeping very well I went ofer to see the letter that you sent and I expect you think you are some out there at Nashville among the Officers wifes Mrs Whitacer _____ here to day from the city She called on me being you want
Pg. 2
at homer tell Thomit Prant to know whether that hatter was good before you got you trunk or not I told you that I would write and tell you all the news Well Dick George went to hunt him He found him and left him at Holins John Hitsman went with Unkle Charly to Brown County and expected to be gone two weeks or at lest John did but thay made fashny toot and got back in three days so you can see the disapointed all of ous I saw the letter that Thom wrote that he heard that John was wounded and have had rthreee from him since He is not hurt He is safe There is two wounded J M Ingersoll and Wm Clerenge I cannot write much more for I must write to John to night
Pg. 3
Mothers family is well if you John got a letter from Thomas He met with bad luck the night after they started home He got his coat and hat hunt up the house he was boarding at I got hunt up and hunt his close He did not say when he would come If you should conclude to stay at Nashville said out of luck of your pain I will have to close Give my respects to all I am aquainted with
Marth Baldwin says the same
No more at this time your sister
Lizzie

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A good pen with heavy ink was used.   However poor word formation and heavy bleed through makes this letter hard to read.




Dec. 11, 1863
Dec the 11th 1863
Butlerville Ohio Friday evening
Dear Friend Cate
I take the pen in hand to write you a few lines in answer to your kind letter that came to hand It found us all well and in hopes that this will find you the same We are all glad to hear from you We are getting along very well We ar all well Willies head is about well and he is getting along fine Floras cough is about well They all get along very well They dont say anything about you once in a while they ask if you will be home at Christmas Your brother has been here to see us and Sarah Ann once There is no need of them coming so often for we get along very well If there is any thing get the matter I can send for her, Dizzy is over evry day or two Their is nothing new so I will not write a very long letter I have wrote three since you gave been gone I expect that you have got
Pg. 2
one by this time I expect that you step a round big out their I would like to see you living in a tent I expect that you look a kind of home Dont feel much like writing to night Sissy is writing you a letter to night and she will give you all the perticulars Jonathan tends to the hors
Good Night
Jenie Mellice
to Cate Please Write Soon
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A fine pen with heavy ink was used.   Good word formation made this letter easy to read even with heavy bleed through.






Dec 30, 1863
Wednsday morning
Camp of 79th Regt OVI
Nashville   Dec the 30th / 63
Dear Kate
This is a beautiful morning indeed and I must write you a letter   It is now about ten oh and I imagine you have about arived at Coshin Pike Station, How I would like to be there with you since you left me I dont think you have traveled the distance of ten miles but what I have thought of you I hope you have arrived home safe   I shall look for a letter from you next Sunday, I heard since you left here that nearly all of Company A of the 12th Regt has been captured   If you now any thing about it pleas to let me now the particulars   There is nothing new here except we are making preperations for a Chirstmas entertainment which was talked of before you left   I am on the com____ of orange men to and will be very busy tomorow   I am about well and I hope you and teh children are well, hoping you have arived safely at home   I remain your effectonat husband
T Thompson
My respects to one and all
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Fair word formation along with ink smears didn't help with the looks of this letter.   However it was still easy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment