Sunday, October 30, 2016

Jan. 1863

Jan. 1863

Jan 4, 1863
     Sunday morning Jan the 4th / 63
Dear Kate I received yours of the 29th this morning which informed me that you arrived at home on Tuesday which was sooner than I expected I am glad to here that you got home safe and found the children all well I am well and I hope that this may find you all, still enjoying good health I was on Picket on new years day and it was a very cold day The coldest day that I have ever felt in Tennisee I think they thermometer was about 8 degrees below zero It rained all day Thursday very hard till about 4oh It commensed getting cold and in less than two hours it was freesing and this next morning it was very cold indeed, The wether has moderated some what and it is snowing now a little, The new years entertainment was quite a success not with standing it was very cold and disagreable I was on picket and consiquintly I did not take any part, I supose the wether has been very cold in this this week I have been some what uneasy about you not having plenty of wood I hope you have plenty We have been out of wood about half the time since you left. I guess we will have plenty in a day or tow, Captain Hicks has not heard from his papers yet
Pg. 2
he is looking for them every day It is rummored that we will be paid next week, the 39th and 37th Regt is on their way home I saw Col Nois the Col of the 39th in Nashville and he said he had 500 and 17 men and officers both the regiments has reenlisted and are going to Ohio in mass on furlow and to recruit a great many of the old troops are re enlisting There is nothing new in camp, the health of the regiment is about as usual The lady soldiers are all well as for as I now give my respects to all the friends and neighbors generaly, yours truly
T. Thompson
Catharin Thompson
       Historical Notes;
     Veterans - Around 1863 - 64 the army started enticing men who had served for a couple years to re-enlist as veterans.   This retained trained men and saved the army in both training time and qualified men.   The usual bonus was a Veterans Furlough of thirty days and a Veterans Bounty of $300 dollars.
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter has fair letter formation.   This is to be expected with the cold he talks about in the text.   Even in a winter quarters, below zero outside will still be around the mid twenties inside.   Perhaps he wrote in in a building?   The envelope it was in was postmarked Jan. 5 1864, at Nashville, Tenn.





Jan. 9, 1863
Jan the 9th / 63
In camp six miles above Nashville on the Cumberland river
       Dear Kate   I am well and well satisfied with our new camp   The I have to do here is nothing to what it was in Nashville and I guess we will easy times the balance of this winter   I have not received a letter from you since last Tuesday week but I am going to Nashville to day and I think I will get a letter   Mrs Janney and Ogan is here with us living in tents   They came up with us the day we moved   We came on a boat and Janny and Ogan was left behind so we had them to take care of it was very cold and disagreable   I tried to get a house for them but could not so they have to stay in the tents by this evening we will be very comfortabley fixed   Better than we was in Nashville   There is snow on the ground at this time about two inches deep   The ground has not been clear of snow since New Years day   The wether has been quite cold since New Years day   The mercury being as low as two degrees below zero   I wished you could be here with me the balance of this winter as I have nothing to do but to set in my tent ad read ad write I will write as often as I
Pg. 2
have a chance to send my letter to town and I think I will have a chance every few days.   The regiment is in very good health at this time there has not been any more new cases of small pox since you left here and I dont think there will be any more   I think the cold wether will have a tendency to stop it, well I have gave you all the news I beleive, the gentleman and ladies here send their respects in return to you   Pleas to give me all the particulars when you write and especialy that visitor you was talking about when you was here.   I am in hopes the visit has been paid and everything is all right   Give my respects to all the friends and especaly to Mary Roll   I send my love to you and all the children   Hoping that I will soon have the pleasure of meeting you all at home   Tell the children I want them to be good children and I want them to all go to school everyday   The can and soon as they get far enough advanced I will send them to some other school, farewell for a few days the I will write again, your effechonat husband
T Thompson
Catharin Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter was written on ruled paper so it was written the full width of the paper.   Considering how cold it was when written the letter formation and the ink wrote smoothly.







Jan. 27, 1863
    Montames        Jan 27, 1863
Mr. Thompson
       Dear Sir
I received your letter a few days ago and I cannot let you have any money until some time in March and then will come up and settle all up.
Yours with respect
John Hitsman
       My Thoughts
     This would seem to be an answer to a letter attempting to collect on a note. I take this to mean he sent this letter to his wife to place in her files for future collection.






No comments:

Post a Comment