Sunday, October 30, 2016

Nov. 1863

Nov. 1863

Nov. 5, 1863
Camp 79th Rgt O. V. I.
Nashville   Nov the 5th / 63
Dear Kate   I seat myself this morning to answer your letter of Oct the 30th   I am well and was glad to learn that you was all as well as comon, we moved our camp on last Monday   We have a very nice camp, a good location and are nicely fixed for winter should we stay here   Yesterday was warm and pleasant.   To day is is raining and it is lonesome and everything looks dull and deary,  I see from you last letter that you had not got my two last letters,l I supose you have received them both by this time and I shall look for another letter from you tomoro and perhaps I will learh when you expecdt to come and pay me a visit   I will not write much for I have no news of consisquince except to write   I supose James Thompson has got a wive if (they), well I was going to say something but I wont I supose James Shafer will move to Butlerville soon and I 
Pg. 2
I supose he will still work at Shoemaking i the town of Butlerville   I hope you will be able to get somepone to saw your wood soon, in one of my last letters I spode something about gettig Unkle Charles to come and stay with you this winter which you can do as you pleas about   I will write as son as I get your nest letter which I thing will be tomorow or net day   My respects to one and all
Yours until death
T Thompson
Catharie Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter would seem to have been written in a hurry.   Words formed only fairly,   Heavy ink with a well worn pen nib left smears and blums everywhere.
     As far as being lonesome.   You have to remember that soldiers had to remain within the limits of their company camp.   This would be about the size of a city lot.   Company Grade officers such as Thorton could roam about the Regimental camp.   Slightly larger than a football field at this time of the war.   To leave amp required a pass.   Easier for Officers than enlisted men.   So "Cabin Fever" set in pretty fast.   The only way to fight this was letters from home.   Note that in almost efery letter he is asking for more letters from her.







Nov. 7, 1863
Camp 79th Regt near Nashville   Nov the 7th / 63
Dear Kate   I seat myself this pleasant afternoon to write a few lines in answer to your letter whcih I received this morning   I am glad to here that those of the family that was not well are getting better and the balance are well   I am well at present and I hope when this is received it will find you all enjoying the same blessing   I am sorey that you did not get one of my letters for there was some photographs in it but I cant tell whose they was, perhaps you will get it yet   I expect to go to Stevenson tomorow or next day and will go their about once a week as long as we continue to guard the trains   Stevenson is about forty mile from Chatanooga   I supose the trains will soon run to Chatanooga   Then we will go to Chatanooga about once a week and then I can take anything that Elizabeth wants to send if she will send it to me here if I stay here when you come to visit me   I guess I will get you to bring me a pair pants and vest and you may bring me a small pillow   A very small one and then you can bring what you pleas in the provision line   I will send you the sise in time for you to get them, it may be that I wont get my pay this time if I dont I guess
Pg. 2
I will have to call on you for some money for I am about straped but I loned some and we will be paid in a few days   I mean the regient will and then I will get what I have loned so I can get along until you come   I understand that the 12th regiment has reinlisted for three years, I would like to have some recruits from the neighbohood for our company if there is any wants to volunter   I dont think they can get in a better regiment or company and if John can get me some ten of fifteen I can get to come home after them any time that is if it is understood that they are for me and for this regiment   I supose I will here from John on this subject in f few days   Joseph Minck is well and the boys generaly from that neighborhood   Unkle Jessie Hitsman arived here last Sunday and will start home tomorow or next day   This is all the news I have to write at this time   Give my respects to one and all of the friends and relatives, Mrs Ent will start home the first of next week with George
Your effictonate Husband
T Thompson
Catearine Thompson
My love to you and all the children
       My Thoughts
     Letter Conditioh - This was a well written letter.   Words well formed with a good pen and ink.   No bleed through made this letter fairly easy to read.
       Historical Notes;
     Photographs - Ambrotypes which were photographs on glass, and CDV's the same on thin cardboard were expensive but sought after by most men.   Few could be printed and had to be taken for as many prints as were needed.
     Re-Enlistment - At the start of the war most men enlisted for three months. When their enlistments were up they were offered an incentive to re-enlist. There was usually a bounty and a Furlough offered. 








Nov. 25, 1863
Nashville Nov the 25th / 63
Mrs. T. Thompson I sent you a letter yesterday I forgot to send the measure for my pants Enclosed you will find the measure the sise of the hat is 7 3/8 Get the gloves large Please to write me as soon as you recieve and let me now if you got the pass and the day you expect to start from Cincnatie You had better bring fourty or fifty dollars with you.
Yours Effectionatly
T. Thompson
You Spoke about George Hemins wanting Dick in your last letter which is the first I new he wanted him He can have him for ten dollars and no less, get a chain and keep him tied
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - It looks liker a thin ink was used.   Many blums and smears.

No comments:

Post a Comment