Sunday, October 30, 2016

July 1863

July 1863

July 6, 1863
Lavern   July the 6th / 63
Dear Companion   I take the present opportunity to answer your letter of the 29th   It is doubtful whether you can get it very soon or not   The news is that the cars is stoped runing between Louisville and Nashville   I supose they will run again in a few days   It is reported that some of Morgans men is in Kentuckey perhaps for the purpose of atacking the railroad   There was a train trowed of the track on yesterday morning as it came into Nashville   We have got no mail since day before yesterday   It may be some time before the cars runs again   I supose St John is still at home yet   I expect he will bring me some clothing when he comes Rosecrans is still driving
Pg. 2
I supose he is at Chattimugbe at this time   We got glorious news from teh Eastern army yesterday and it changes the aspect of things here very much   We got good news from where we least expected   I think we will soon have the rebels badly whiped   I beleve we will all be home by the first of January to stay   Rosencrans is found it whip Bragg and I beleve Grant will take Vicksburg and has whiped Lee badly   Banks will take Port Hindson   This will be encouraging   You speak about getting a silk dress and speak about getting it made   Get some good hand to make it if you get anyone   John Wheterford got three dollars of me just before he moved   I think I owed him 75 cts which would leave a balance of $2.25   He expects St John
Pg. 3
to pay me but when me and St John settled he said he did not owe John anything   So I never got it   I am not very well to day   I was on Picket last night and I have the headach which is quite unpleasant   The sun is so hot here    I would like to now whether Moses Nixson ever came back to the army   I have been looking for a letter from John Hacket and Andy   Also from Codington   I sent you a book by mail   Let me now if you get it   I sent you a ring   Let me now if you got it   I sent you a sleeve button which I fond   It is good gold I think   Good by for this time
I remain yours until death
my respects to all
P.S.   Keep the wagon well greased

Pg. 4

I am out of stamps
       My Thoughts
    Letter Condition - The pen and ink seem to be good.   There is a lot of bleed through making it hard to read.   The handwriting itself is not as good as most of his.
       Historical Notes;
     Mail - Thorton Thompson in over twenty of his letters kept track of when letters were posted and when he received them.   Time in route was about five days.   Even when he noted problems with the railroad, due in most part by Morgans men and moving camp while the mail was in transit, this only added about three days to the trip.
     Picket Duty – He would have been assigned charge of five or six picket posts. His camp would have been set up 3 or 4 hundred yards behind the line so he could respond to each as quickly as he could.
     Stamps - by 1863 the post office had stopped requiring soldiers to use stamps for letters.   All that was needed was to write 'Soldiers Letter' where the stamp was to be fixed.   Peraps this information was not forwarded to the 79th Ohio.







July 11, 1863
July the 11th / 63
Dear Companion   I received yours of the 5th of July this morning   Was extremely glad, for our mail communication has been cut off for a few days   I learned that the train which started here from Nashville last Monday was thrown off the track and the mail captured   Whether this be true or not I cant say but there has been now train arrived from Louisville since until yesterday   Consiquintly we have had no mail since until this morning   I have had a letter wrote for four days to send you but would not start it until the train commenced running so I concluded I would write another this morning and send them both, your letter informed that K Goodpaster is wounded   I am sory to here that    I. Ingersall lost his leg   I fear his wound will prove fatel   Amputation of lims appears to be very fatel in the army   I had heard that Ingersall is wounded also John Soth and Necibbin Ingersall is at Murffreesboro   Soth is slightly wounded in the hand   They passed here on their way to Nashville a few days ago   I did not see them but some of the boys saw them   Braggs men are deserting as fast as they can   There is more of less come to this post and give themselves up volintarily and take the Oath of Allegince and say they will die befor they will fight in the southern army any longer   The battle was fought at Hoovers Gap and the rebs got a complete whipping and had to run as usual when Rosey gets after them
Pg. 2
You did not say whether you got the ring or not   I would like to now if it suits you and if it fits your finger   I made it for your little finger   I was afraid it was two large   You did not say when St John was going to back   Write in your next when he started   Bragg is beyond the Tennisi River   I supose the Tennisee River will be the base of opperation   It is my opinion the rebbels cant form base of opporations   They have not got strength to do it, dont get discouraged   Keep good cheer   I dont think it will be long before we ccan return home   In peace it makes me feel sory to here of you being dispondent from your effectionat Husband
T Thompson
Catherin Thompson
P. S. I am glad to receive a kiss from the children
       My Thoughts
     Letter Conditiuon - Letters are well formed and the pen and ink seem to be good.   There is some bleed through but not much.
       Historical Notes;
     Amputation - Advances in the field of medicine were vast during the Civil War.   But with the damage to flesh and bone from large projectiles combined with the time involved in doing internal procedures that could take an hour or more when amputation could be done in under ten minutes, a hard decision sometimes needed to be made.   Yes, an arm or leg might be saved with a new procedure but how many men waiting for help might die as the result.
     Mail - Thorton Thompson in over twenty of his letters kept track of when letters were posted and when he received them.   Time in route was about five days.   Even when he noted problems with the railroad, due in most part by Morgans men and moving camp while the mail was in transit, this only added about three days to the trip.







July 19, 1863
Laverne July the 19th - 63
Dear Kate I received your letter this morning The only news I have received from home since your letter of the fifth of this month I was much pleased to here from you Alson to here that you was all well I am well and just came off of Picket I have just returned from Church, it appears from your letter you have some excitiment in Ohio about Morgan visit there I hope he may be captured before he leaves the state I think he will be I think the people is aroused to a since of there duty to some extenbt But if they capture him they must keep after him not, follow him one day and then turn back Keep up the chase until he meets a forece that will detain him and then those in the rear will get a chance for a shot, Col Kolson will turn back and I hope Morgan will meet a force that will check him then Kobson
Pg. 2
will over take him I supose the citizens has by this time returned home I supose Margan has been captured or excaped over the river I received your letter written on the 30th of June whih the stamps in on the 16th of this I received a letter from Lieut Ely yesterday He is at Manchester and is well I am glad to learn that Morgans Raid into Ohio dont amount to anything but stealing horses Acording to the papers he has done no damage to property except the train He destroyed on the mane railroad with the exception of thease, if they had draged an old train car through the state it would of amounted to about the same As for as the rebelion is concerned but this will be a warning to the people of Ohio and perhaps they will better prepaired next time Mr Morgan makes his next visit to Ohio We are looking for the paymaster soon and I am agoing to try hard for a Leave of Absence about that time supose the farmers is not done harvesting
Pg. 3
I supose Governir Todd will releive the Haliha soon so they will be able to finish up their harvest I have had several races after Morganb but have been always on foot If I ever try him again I want to be mounted on a good horse with a good lot of men and I will run him I was agoing to say to hell Well I have said it and I will stick to it Well I will just run him in and I will turn back in time to escape the place, I m very much encourtaged as to the termination of the war The defeats that the rebels has suffered in last month and loses tell terable on the rebels They have lost nearly one third of their effective fore in the last onth, If old Morgan comes back through Butlerville dont let him have Old Bill The papers has kept us posted as to the wheree abouts of organ till this morning it says nothing about him I look for another letter from you in a day or two Then I will write again My respects to all
Pg. 4
In your next pleas to tell me where Wm Conklein is Write as ofter as you can I dont care if it is everyday I will answer all your letters I wrote a letter to John last week Supose he has got it before this time I sent you the book you spoke about in your letter I sent you a Nashville paper last week I expect the moman was bodley scared dont get scared He wound hurt you all He is after is to steal and rob and plunder So if you have nothing he wants he will not bother you If he calls on you for soe thing to eat you will just have to five it to him an I dont supose he will offer you any pay but I will try and make it up of the sesesh while I am almost their Good by for this time I remain your effetonate husband
T Thompson
Catherine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink seem to be good.   There is a lot of bleed through,   This could be caused by wet conditions or damp paper.








July 21, 1863
Lavern   July the 21st / 63
Dear Kate   I write you a few lines in answer to your letter of the 17th which I received today   I am glad to here that you are all well and getting along very well   I am well and doing the best I can we are still here guarding the railroad   There is two companies on Picket every day that brings us on every four days   I am looking for St John now every day I think he will be here about Friday if he starts Monday or Tuesday   The health of the Regiment is about as usual, I am looking for to here of the fall of Charlstonh every day, and Richmon and then the Suthern Confederacy is played out   Tell John to let me now what law his company is garised
Pg. 2
under perhaps they would like to volunteer and be a company in the 79th Regiment   If so the arangment can be made   Tell John to write me and let me now as soon as he can if he has a company that will volunteer and go into active service   I would like for him to come in the 79th   This ring I send for Mary Sheets try it on and write me whether it fits your finger or not, and whether it is to big for the little finger   If so if it is to small for the next I want to make you one out of collered shell   I have no news to write   Give my respects to all   I think by this time Morgan is considerably worsted   We get the news here daly from him I learn by the paper this morning
Pg. 3
that Wolford is after Morgan and had captured his artilery and thirteen hundred of his men   Wolford nows him and will give him thunder   I dont think a great many of Morgans men will ever return to Dixey, give the children a kiss for me, no more at this time, I remain your effectonate companion
T Thompson
Catherin Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Word formation is good.   The pen nib seems to be worn as the down stroke is heavy with ink.
       Historical Notes;
     Picket Duty – He would have been assigned charge of five or six picket posts. His camp would have been set up 3 or 4 hundred yards behind the line so he could respond to each as quickly as he could.
     Re-enforcement - As the Federal army Mustered In their troops from State Militia they were somewhat hampered by the politics involved in raising and re-enforcing them.   Awarding Colonelships was an easy way to pay off political debts.   So instead of re-enforcing existing regiments they were allowed to shrink to the point they had to be combined to keep up a combat presence.   The Officers of regiments that were caught up in this problem took matters into their own hands by sending Officers back to their home towns to recruit new men.   In the rosters of these Companies they were listed not as Privates but as Recruits.   They then had to withstand a period of hazing until they had proved themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment