Sunday, October 30, 2016

July 1864

July 1864

July 21, 1864
Thursday evening
July the 21     1864
Dear Husband
       I write you a few lines to inform you that I am very sick at this time   I was taken very sick yesterday morning and if had not got some relief I dont think I could have lived until evening   I got some better in the evening   This morning I had another bad spell but I feel some better   At this time it is my old complaint that ails me   So you now what is the matter with me, I dare not sit up in the bed   The doctor says that it very doubtful whether I am able to sit up for two week even in bed and thinks that I will not be able to be about my room much this somer   John is not iny beter   He still gets weeker   You would now him if you should see him any place away
Pg. 2
from home   He is poor   He looks very bad   I want you to come home if you possible can and as soon as you can, if John does not get better soon I dont he can live if he gets worse suden I will telligraph to you, as I am not able to sit up I get John Hitsman to write this   I will write you in a few days
I remain yours as every
Catharin Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good pen and ink with fair word formation.   Letter is easier than most of hers.








July 21, 1864
Headquarters 79th O. V. I.-
in Rifle Pits ney Atlanta Ga
July 21 / 64
     Friend Thompson
                      Yours of the 17 came to hand a few moments ago and as you was so kind as to send me writing material, I will make no delay in answering.   Though I havnt feal like doing eney thing yesterday morning (July 20) our Division was moved to the left to fill a gap in the line between 14th & 4 Corps   Was not long in reaching the place where we had to ocupy.   Our boys was deployed in single line and without support moved forward   We had not reached the top of the desired hill until we found the rebs advancing seven lines deep to take the hill we so much desired, arriving at the 
Pg. 2
top of the hill and taking shelter behind a fence we opened fire on them   The 2nd Brig was in position on our left and donre good work, volley after volley was pored in their ranks which caused them to brake and fall back in confusion   For three long hours, we fought them they taking oup a new line in the edge of the woods, in good musket range, _____ Jo sent us word to hold our possition   Two hours and all sould be right, we held and fortified it and now have teh pleasure of writing you a letter while seated in the pruty birt    We did not do all this without heavy losses   Jos Reeder of Co "D" was killed and William Jove Corp Arnold George Woens, George Bowens, Henry Helms, and Henry Seals wounded.   Helms & Seals wounds are slight and they are now with us, I fear Jobs & Arnold will prove fatal
Pg. 3
the Regt lost 10 killed & 46 wounded, Prdenly of Co C was killed, I would give you a full list of the casualties but time will not permit.   Suffice to say, we lost many brave and good boyes, I was back to Division hospital this morning and saw all of our go that was wounded   Wm Jogbes wound is a sever one the ball passing thorough his righ line   He was in fine spirits and did not opppret to suffer much pain, Arnolds wound is about the right-eye   It is a sever wound, George Bowns through the left sholder, George W. Owens in shin and arm, ther amputation, Henry Helms was lightly wounded in the right arm Hen Seal in the left side boath are with us and able for duty, but the beaugle is blowing teh fall in   I must close for the present
July 23, 1864, since comminsing my letter we have advanced
Pg. 4
our line about two miles and ar now strongly entrenced 1 1/2 milers from Atlanta, we made the advance without opposition, but hjave been lying in works fighting since until this morning exception of our skirmishers _____ on keeping up a brisk fire, we lost hevy on the 20th   Co "C" lost 14 killed and wounded, Not an Officer was hurt, though they all stood up to the work like veterans but the rebels have commenced shelling our works now which has brough on an artillery duel, making it rather unpleasant writing, I will send you word when I want my blouse if you can send me 4 or 5 dollars I would be very thankful, the Chaplain furnished the Regt with tobacco but it takes green backs to get it, the boys what few areleft ar in fine spirits though almost wore out   They all send thear respects to you hoping you may soon be able to respond to the Co   I will close
Truly Yors
A____hery
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Written in pencil that isn't sharpened enough.   Text lines wander about.   Envelope addressed Lieut Thorton Thompson, Officers Hospital, Nashville, Tenn.   Postmark\ dated Jul 28 '64, Nashville, Tenn.
     To deploy in a single line means that this section of the line was very weak.   The fact that this was done to fill a gap shows that this Division was being sacrificed to buy time.   They deployed behind a fence that although he doesn't say, I'm sure they fortified as Breastworks.   This could be done in under a half hour and would help against musket fire but not artillery.   He says they were attacked by a force seven lines deep.   The military math of the day for attacking a stationary force was;
   In open field - three to one
   Against Breastworks - five to one
   Against Fortifications (Trenches) - seven to one
     This was considered to be the minimum needed to overwhelm an opposing force.   There are of course other factors, Attacking up or down hill, Musket vs. Rifles, Water, Heat, and Moral.   None of these factors were detailed in the letter.





July 25, 1864
I have neglected to finish the one Tuesday as I did intend to after the mail came in I received a letter from you but did not send this to the office at the railroad in time for the mail
Butlerville July 25th 1864
Mr my Dear Husband
       I again take my pen to write a few lines to you   How anciously I looked for you this evening, I had looked for a letter last Tuesday and as none came that day and none today I thought that you was coming home and I still think that   I shall see you in a few days I am better again so that I can begin half a little again   Fut I feel week and am afraid to co much of anything for fear that it will come to have such time again as I had last week   I can not describe to you how afraid last Wendsday forenoon and part of Thursday forenoon   I knew no cause for me having such a spell with out it was caused from Neahrefs and have felt well and common until two or three days before   I was taken sick my back gave out or mad so weak that I could hardly 
Pg. 2
get along with my work but I thought that I would get better in a few days and still kept on trying to do all that I could   I had got Emily Coughmain to help on Monday so that I could get to sit some which appersd to help my back and on Wednesday we had commenced to wash   I did not feel real well but I had often helped to wash when I felt none their   I did that morning but we had not been working long before I was taken with a pain in my left side and across my back and bowels that I could not stand or just in my position the sweat stood on me in great drops and I apeard cold as clay   I had the children call Mary Hitesman and Rebeca Long and they tryed to do all that they could to get my hands and feet warm but it was some time before I could lay still or get warm   We sent for the doctor but he was not at home   They also went for Mother and Ann Conklin and she made hot poultice for my side and bowels which soon relieved some in a short time.   The doctor came about noon 
Pg. 3
but I was much better then but very weak and had to keep very still   The next morning I sat up in the bed just long enough to have my hair combed which was more than I was able stand for soon after I was taken with a much pain again that H was nearly as bad ever but by appling the hot polteses and taking some more morphia powders that the doctor had left for me I soon got better   I feel well now but still have to be very carefull about lifting anything heavy   I suppose that I will have to be carefull for some time and will have to keep a girl for some weeks but it cost what it may and wage are so high from a dollar and a half to two dollars for week I expect that Jane will stay with me until I shall be able to do my work again John is better and I think will get well now he up nearby all day Feet he _____ but I hope that he will soon look better Well I will change the subject You spoke about me colecting all the accounts that I could I will try to colect them as fast as I can I wrote to you some about Mrs John Farris said about the account of his
Pg. 4
that you had offered to take half of the amount and he will pay that if I was willing to take that or you are not satisfied, that the _____ you _____ not willing to pay the whole amount as he thinks that he has tried it. I told him that you have not said what I shll do I have used 50 dollars of that money that you sent home for to pay my depts with and also nearly all that _______ _______ Elmer Paid me and I still have not paid all _____ but I do not want to use anymore, of the money that you sent to me without I cannot collect any of the accounts in a few days because I have to buy all the meat that we use and flour and what few grocerys that we need and they are so high that you have no idea what they all cost it all _______ frightens me to see what it costs to live and we live as plain as we can hopefuul get along as your next _____ _____ I do _____ some more of that money, before I colect eny I received a letter from Mr Marsh last week intending that he would be oblighed to try and have a settlement I went a few timed in turn stating that you was sick in the
Pg. 5
'The 5th Wednesday morning'
hospital and had been for some time I was sick and also one of the children and then I could not enything until I heard from you or seen you as I was looking for you home so this week I received another letter from him stating for me not to give myself enh uneasy about the matter and that it may account of it being his fathers affairs that he wished settled so that he could arrange his book and the balance due was _____ dollars but if you would give or send your note for 70 dollars he would wait until we could make arrangement to pay it I will here say that if you do not get to come home soon and _____ to write to him just enclose a few lines for him is one of my letters and I will go to the city and settle with him for you Know that he wrote to me that he would take fourty dollars on account of the failure of the hay crop and I think if I owe him that he will take the fourty dollars yet and that you _____ will ge better than to give a note for seventy
Pg. 6
So please answer this as soon as you get it. You suppose that you recollect giving your note for sixty some dollars to Willam Sawyer He has sold or traded the note to Mr Frank Goington and last week I recieve a few lines from him requesting to know wether I could pay it soon and I want to know what you say about it before I gave him eny answer but I trust that before they need ____ part you will be home and then you cab tell me what to do about such matters if we pay all those depts we can not think or buying that land of Morsback You Pleg to decide what to do about it I would like to have the land and I would for the depts paid so _____ _____ we have any if it is but little if so paid for any nobody can take it from us but I have to close
I saw in the paper yesterday that there has been a hard fight at Atlanta ad several of the 79 Regt have been killed and wounded several wounded out at Co D but I knew on of Co K is killed that went from here Clay Bowman but I went ___ ___ ___
So good bye for a day or two I remain your affectionate Wife until death
Catherin Thompson
I have looked for you every day since last Friday and Saturday evening   I come very near sending Geoge to the railroad for you and he would have went but was buzy have and great Hatchett _____ and _____ a small coffin for Adam Binders Child Andrew was not here so George and Jake done it for me   If I had been well I could have done it myself   We did not have to take it out for they sent after it on Sunday evening   I charged four dollars for the coffin
I do not know wether Andy will stay with me and attend to the shop of not   He has not told me yet wether he intends to or not
Well I have neither the _____ more that I had intended to   I must close now so good by and I hope that I will soon have the pleasure of followiing you in any army again
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A fine point pen with lots of bleed through makes reading this in places hard.



July 31, 1864
South Western Telegraph Company
1230 am       July 31, 1864
From Warren O 30 1864
To Thorton Thompson
Off Hospital
Room 38
     John is very sick   I want you to come home
Cath Thompson


No comments:

Post a Comment