Sunday, October 30, 2016

Oct. 1862

Oct. 1862

Oct. 5, 1862
Sunday morning Oct the 5th - 62
In camp near Shelbyville on the Lexington Pike 34 miles from Louisville
       My efectinate Companion   I seat myself this beautiful Sunday morning in order to converse with you by way of letter   we    started on Thursday afternoon about 4oh and an on Saturday evening about 10oh   We encampted at Shelvyville McCook Division of Buell army is in advance of us 3 days consolidating of about 8000 men and we have about 8000 men making about 16,000 men on this   Today supose there is about two hundred thousand troops advancing towards Bardstown and Lexington what the prospect is to catch Brag & can not tell we drove rebel Calvery   I mean the advance from us then 14 miles miles of Louisville killed some 8 of the rebels and we lost 1 man   Is a beautiful country that we have passed through between here and Louisville   Also the loyalty of the sesech when the Union army is absent   I am well and stand marching as well as any man in the regiment   We marched seventeen miles the first day we started from Louisville on the first night for we started at 4oh and and in camped 17 miles from Louisville at one oh clock we came in to camp with about 3 hundred men in the 79th Regt but the boys all came up the next morning and last night we had all the 79 in camp with the exception of those in the hospital   The boys that I recuted is all well and in camp
Pg. 2
with me this morning and I think that we have the best company in the 79th Regt   They will not steal unless it is something to eat and not that unless their haversacks fails   Melton Ent is well and stand marching very well   He fell behind on the march the other night but I told the boys to fall out and come up early next morning   I think we stacked about fifteen guns when we was ordered to stack arms   I would like to be at home   All very well for one day if no longer but I do not now when I can come home perhaps I can get a furlow when I get in winter quarters   If we should go into winter quarters I supose that will depend altogether upon circumstances but I intend to visit home as soon as I can get permission   I want you to do best you can with with matters at home   Get William to asist you in selling anything that you have sell if he will and attend to it and pay him for it   Get him to collect accounts for you when he has time   I would like for him to atend to selling the hay and getting it bailed and if Bunyan and Bishop has not bailed the hay get it all bailed ad sell it all together if they halled it they must pay $7 a ton for it   Was worth that when I left him   I want you to send to Hiram Brayman and get them lamp and can of cole oil   I paid for all three of the lamps and can and oil and oil and they never paid me for it   You get them and sell them or keep them as you choose   I want you to collect money and desire to keep enough for your own use if you get more money than you want to use yourself   I want you to pay Johnathan Sawyer if he needs it as soon as I draw my
Pg. 3
Pay I will send it home and direct what you shall do with it   Recolect I want you to pay William and Mother Kitsman what I owe them out of the first money you get   You can get the money that is coming from Sharp and time you want it by giving him a weeks notice   Tell Willet to all the painting that he can do to my house until it is finished and I want him to paint Alfred Whitacer as cheep as he can to make it passable I will make arrangement for his pay when I send my money home if you dont collect enough to pay him sooner   When he gets the herse and wagon painted I would like for you to get a place for one or the other of them so that they will be in the dry   If you can do so better you will have to put one in old shop   I would like for you to let me now what arangment Mr. Coleman made for the payment of his note or whether he made any as often as you can direct to Louisville until I direct otherwise   I want you to kiss Willy for me and I am glad that he can walk   Kiss all the children for me and tell them that want them to be good children   Mind their mother   George and John and Allice to go to school as study as possible and learn as fast as possible   Take good care of the horse and use him as much as you choose   Give my love to all my conectio and my respects to all my neighbors   Good by for a while   I remain yours until death
Thorton Thompson
to Catharin Thompson

       Historical Notes;
     Sesech - Slang for Disloyal to the Union, a Reble.

     Foraging - He notes that his men won't steal unless it's for food.   This indicates that he is now dealing with foraging by the men and is trying to rationalize it to himself.

     Haversack - This is a canvas bag hung on the left side of the body under the canteen.   It was painted with tar to keep the grease from the meat ration from staining the uniform.

     Straggling - This is en falling out of line during the march.   He notes that at the end of the day they stacked only 15 muskets.   The regiment was organized starting in Aug. '62.   It is unknown the strength when they left Ohio but I have learned they were not at full strength.   However, a company would not have been mustered in with a strength of less than 80 men.   So 15 muskets is a strength of 18 men (15 enlisted men and 3 officers.)   They have not seen action yet however he notes some men in hospital at Louisville in other letters.   This shows that possibly 60 men fell out on this days march.   He seems to have granted permission for this.   A risky decision for a 2nd Lieut.   If he sought permission from the Company Captain he dosen't note it.   I find it hare to believe the Captain didn't know this was happining as he marches just to the left of the company in line of march.   The Lieut.s would march to the right.

     Winter Quarters - Also known as 'Hutting up.'   This involves building low walls about 3 feet tall and pitching the tent on top, digging the inside down a foot or two and throwing the dirt against these walls.   This will help insulate the hut.   A rude fireplace is then dug beneath the wall and mud lined barrels are stacked up as a chimney.

     Musket Stack - This was done to both keep the muskets off the damp ground and to keep them in one place.   The muskets were stacked while the men were in line of battle so that when they were assembled they fell in with their musket in front of them.   This was there was no lost time while the men got into position.   There were four muskets to a stack not counting Sergeants who worked just behind the line as 'file closers who added their muskets to the stack in front of their position.

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This letter was written with a quality pen and good ink.   Letters were well formed with no blums or bleed through.   Envelope does not match contents.
     He notes, with some misplaced pride, that the night of their first forced march his Company stacked only 15 muskets.   This means that of a company of possibly 89 to 101 men (the minimum and Maximum for a Company of Infantry to Muster In) only 18 men (15 enlisted & 3 Officers) made to the stopping point that night.
     Thorton discovers the value of clean water.   On the march the men would hang a couple dozen canteens on one man and send him to fill them.   A family well may only contain forty or fifty gallons and may take hours to refill.   Later in the war the Cavalry would be sent ahead to guard wells.   In extreme cases hundreds of men could crowd around wells to the point the walls would collapse burying the well.





Oct. 9, 1862
Frankfort Oct the 9th – 62
Dear Wife We arrived here this morning at 4oh after a tedious march We started from Shelbyville yesterday at elevenoh and march to within 5 miles of Frankfort At elevenoh we we took some refreshments and I laid down and went to sleep at half past twooh We was called got in to ranks and arived at this place at 4oh the 4th Ohio cavlry had a skirmish with the rebel cavalry last night at 12oh The Federals drove the rebels and killed 8 and wounded several more their was 2 or three of our men wounded none killed A man by the name of Johnson was wounded he lived in Clairmont Co Ohio Jackson Jeffers was in this fight I saw him to day and he is all right I saw Butlers boys yesterday and they are well Bennet Cavelry is with us at this time and they look hearty but they have had a long march and they look hard that is they look dirty for they have not stopped since they started on the march to this place and they had but one suit of clothing consiquintly the look dirty I stood the march last night better than anyone yet the worst thing that I had to contend with was water Water has been very scarce and and very poor I have not had a letter from you since the one dated on the 13th of last month I think I have
Pg. 2
four letters since I have received one I supose that it is on account of the mails not being regular for I think you would write at least since a week, there is a flag of truce just arrived in camp from the rebels asked 24 hours to consider what to do but I do not now to a certanty what they want I supose that it is in referance to the killed and wounded of last night or perhaps with what  in order pretense to learn something about our strength if they can find out anything about the strength it is more than I now myself we have a great many  troops lucky I supose that their was 12000 arived here yesterday and today and McCook Division was ahead of us but I dont now where they are now Frankfort is a right nice place surounded by high hills we encamped in the State House yard for three hours and it is a very nice place the building is of very nice ______ the rebels burned the railroad bridge at this spot and atempted to burn the Turnpike bridge last night but they was a little to late for our cavalry met them at the bridge and drove them across and followed them about a mile from town I am well and I am in hopes that you are enjoying the same blessing I think that I will get a
Pg. 3
furlow sometime this winter perhaps I will come home as soon as I get paid off if I dont get to far away by order home I would like to see all very much just left John Tilisman behind yesterday he was the diare if he dont get better he will sent back to Louisville until he gets better I was sorry to leave him behind but I think he will be able to come up soon John is one of the best boys we have with us he is always ready to do his duty give my respects to all I beleive that we are in my last letter about seeing all the boys they all look well tell Mr Ent folks that Milton is well and apears to be well satisfied good by for a few days, write often direct Louisville until I direct otherwise
Thorton Thompson
to Kate Thompson

       Historical Notes;

Clothing – At the start of the war men tried to pack a change of cloths but after a few long marches most of these ended up in ditches as the men trimmed themselves down. An extra shirt and pair of socks was all the extra clothing they needed.
As a side note. The army sent wagons behind the line of march and picked up most of the cast off items. Consiquintly, if the men requested more items of clothing later, it was deducted from their pay.

Water – This was the bane of any march. If the men were allowed to fall out to fill their canteens the march would fall apart. Cavalry was used to guard wells. If too many men crowded on a well the walls would collapse and the well buried.
It takes about 20 to 30 seconds to fill a Civil war canteen. Now think of thousands of men in a march stopping on their own to do this.

Turnpike – An improved road.

Furlough – He spells it furlow, this is a pass to go home. It was unusual to receive one more than once during their service. At the start of the war men thought it was availible through a request of their company officers. This was not true.

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Letter written with a good pen and quality ink.   Letters were well formed with tee's crossed on the tee, not normal for Thorton.   Envelope is addressed to Mrs. Kate Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   There is a 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner.   Postmark was not well stamped, I can't make out town or date.





Oct. 14, 1862
Frankfort Oct the 14th – 62
Dear companion I received a letter from you yesterday the only one I have received for ten days I was glad to here that you was all well I am well and I hope that when you receive this letter you will still be enjoying the same blessing you did not write anything about what John Punch was doing whether he was working in the shop or not I want you to get Johnathan Sawyer to attend to the shop and pay him by the day let him take the shop and keep the book and I will pay him by the day I will pay him one dollar and fifty cents per day if thi is lumber is needed you must get it, let him by it and pay him by the day I supost that he can get walnut lumber at some of the mills tell Johnathan to keep the shop locked and those things that is not needed about the shop he can sell them if John Punch wants to work in the shop let him have one bunch I want to see that all the my tools is put in the chest and tell Johnathan to let no one use them except him and Punch Dont lend them to every body I will not let Price have the shop if I let any body have it Johnathan will get it, James Meeks was well when I saw him and I think he is a good boy I don't think the army has had any effect on his morals I was much pleased to see him and to see him so well satisfied He was out of money I gave him some money and suposed they would be paid off fore they left
Pg. 2
Louisville but they did not get their pay it may be that I will see him at Lexington James was in the fight at Perryville I expect his regiment was and in the hotest part of the battle I saw James Long when and Brunston when they marched from Louisville they was both well and in goos spirits I supose they was in the batle and I am ancious to here from the boys we was in about 20 miles of the battle and I supose that we was ordered to the place the morning of the battle we was ordered to leave napsacks blankests take three day rations in our haversacks and to leave all those behind that could not stand it to march fourty eight hours and be ready to march we got ready in 20 minetes but did not march I supose that the order was countermanded they was expecting a fight and all the boys apeared ancious to go I send all but there was some that thought they could not stand the march that generaly eat as much as the rest of us I supose that we will go to Lexington this week I do not now for certain but I supose that we will if we do I will write as soon as I get there when you write me before you stated that Edlstons wife was sick but did not say anything about her in the last letter whether she was better or not I like to here very much their apears to be considerable of sickness in the neighborhood Pleas to write and inform me who has died Johnthan stated in his letter that their had eleven coffins had been taken out since I left home how much wheat did you put in the mill
Pg. 3
I do not now how soon I will be home it depends altogether on circumstances if we have no work to do this I will get to come home to stay a week or two I will come if I can anyway atal as soon as we get paid off I will send my money home or fetch it home let me now whether you have got your wood ready winter or not if the bees is ded in that hive take the honey out to no more at present but remain your effectimat husband give my respects to all and to Mr Ent that we all in the 12 division of the Army of the Ohio and fourty second brigade under General Dermont as division general and General Ward as Brigadere General and we are on the extreme left at present took a squad of men and went about three miles from camp on last Sunday in the neiborhood _______ the rebels had been encamped and capture a very good mule that was branded W. T. I supose it was taken from us at Rackman the old devil was a sesech and had two sesche soldiers in his house which we took prisoners we have since taken several prisoners and four or five mules that is our company there is plenty of sesch here and the meanest looking man I ever saw but there is some very good Union men here some very good Union men here the Union ladies is very kind to us and are glad to see us come here everything is scarce here on act of the army consumming so much.   Frankfort is a very dingy looking place for the capitol of a state   There is but one good act of the army cons____y so much, Frankfort is a very dingy looking place for the capital of a state there is but one good
Pg. 4
in the place and that is a Hotel the State House is very comon indeed I visited the cemetery yesterday and and saw where several emenant men was buried Henry Caly Jr that was killed in on____ Richard H Johnson Daniel Boon monument which erected to his memory by the State of Kentucky it is emblematical of Boon as a backwoods man and every thing around it rocks and stumps of cedar that was cut a great many years ago they are very much weather beaten but they are sound as ever they was there is a very nice monument here that was erected by the state in honnor of the many heros that fell in the War of 1812 and the Mexican War but of all the citys for a capital that I ever saw Frankfort is the poorest it is surounded by hills and you can not see half a mile in no direction I will close for this time tell George to write me a letter I have never received a letter from him yet I will write soon again you write as ofter as you can I will write to Johnathon as soon as I can the prices of coffin
The Smallest size taken is 5.00
Large and covered mounted 25.00
Plaine with handles 14.00
Plaine without 12.00
The boxes is included in these prices
2 dollars is deducted
T. Thompson
to C. Thompson

       Historical Note;
     Knapsack - The most common issued was the Model 1853-55 two bag soft pack.   This held one wool blanket, one rubber blanket, and later in the war one half shelter.   There was a place for a shirt and a couple pairs of socks.   In colder whether a second blanket could be rolled and strapped on top of the pack.   He mentions leaving packs behind.   This was a real money maker for the army.   The men were ordered before going into battle to drop their packs.  A sick man was sometimes left behind to 'guard' the pile of packs.   If the battle stagnated or the men fell back they may be able to get them back.   If not then they would have to be re-issued new packs, with the government issued contents.   Of course this would all be deducted from the soldiers pay!

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Again this letter written with a good pen and quality ink.   He is using a little florish in his opening.   This letter was not in an envelope.





Oct, 20, 1862
Camp near
Clarksburg V a
October the 20th
Dear Sister
I received your very welcome letter yesterday and was glad to here from after so long a time it found me in good health and I hope this will find you in the enjoyment of good health I will tell you the reason that I havent wrote sooner I wrote several to Thorton and did not get answers so I thought I would write until he wrote Well I will try and give you some of the news in the first place Wee left Sharpsburg M.D. On
Pg. 2

the 8th of this month and started for this place and arrived here on the 13th In the meantime wee took a scout in to Pensylvania after some confede cavelry but wee could not catch them but wee had quite a pleasant trip out among the Duch I suppose you have heard all about the South Mountain and Antietam battles and I will not try to discribe it suffice to say that wee gained a gloriais victory I believe the old 12th killed its weight in secesh there was an old well wee throwed them in it to save time and trouble some of the boys in our company has
Pg. 3
been barefooted for nearly two weeks and with out shirts but to day wee drawing clothes The reason they was out of clothes was that wee havent stoped long enough at one place to draw them I myself havent the best clothes in the world it is ashame these frosty mornings to see the boys get up in there barefoot and stand around the fire The boys that is left is in good health wee have a very nice place to camp it is beautiful meadow adjoining a small stream one mile west of Clarksburg I do not know how long wee will stay here We may leave here in a day
Pg. 4
or two for all that I know I suppose you have heard that John and Jake Hackett was wounded at the late battle John shot his fingers off stepping up to take a shot at the rebbles and Jake was shot in a charge at South Mountain through the calf of the left leg (flesh wound I havent heard from them since the fight – Elmar shot his fingers off accidently I will have to close Give my love to sister Eliza and the rest of the relatives Also to John Hitsman and receive a share your self Pleas write soon an give me the news of the town Direct to this place 12th O.V.I. Co A care of Capt R Wilson
to Cathrin Thompson
A. Thompson

        My Thoughs
     Letter Condition - This was written on patriotic motif paper with an Eagle standing on the National Flag emblem wrapped with a belt embossed with 'E PLURUBUS UNUM'.   This was written in pencil that was kept sharp so the letters are well defined.
     The A. Thompson would be Andrew Thompson, Thortons brother.
     In regards to shooting fingers off. Don't jump to the conclusion that was in effort to get out of the army. Charging a musket with powder was the most dangerous stip in the loading process. The manuel stressed the most safe was to do this but this involved twisting your right wrist in an extended motion. During the heat of battle not only where the men loading and firing as fast as they could thus heating the barrels to the point of 'Cooking Off' if they were charging with their fingers in the wrong place when the musket discharged even without a ball in the barrel the fingers would have been blown off. This was sadly a not uncommon battlefield accident.



No comments:

Post a Comment