Sunday, October 30, 2016

Feb. 1864

Feb. 1864


Feb. 2, 1864
George Thompson
My dear Son
I was much pleased to receive a few lines from you enclosed is one received from mother
I am glad to here that your general health is good but very sorey to think you are a going to be a cripple for life unless your arm can be reset I want you to have your arm reset if the doctor thinks he can preform this operation sucesfuly and render you the full use of your arm again I am very sorey that it is so but I hope that your arm can be reset I am very anceous to here what the doctors opinion is about the case
I see you made a great many mistakes in spelling I fear you are neglecting that branch of study in school Please to see to this, I want you to direct your attention to your studies in school exclusively for if you are to bge crippled for life it well be necessary for you to have a good education
Pg. 2
From your effectonate Father
T Thompson
George Thompson
P.S. If Mrs Conklin sells her house and lot get your Unkle John Hitsmanb to attend to having teh mortgage conseled and whatever interest George Hitsman and Mrs Conklin agrees what shall be paid on that note of mine that is the interest that I shall expect for her to pay me
Pg. 3
Old Camp Feb the 2ond / 64
Dear Kate I write this morning from the old camp last Saturday morning at day light I received orders to march the two comps to the camp of the 79th Regiment and to start at 7oh It was raining quite brisk We tore down and started for the Regiment at 9oh A.M. and arrived at the camp of the 79th Regt about oneoh I found the camp in confusionj in consequinse of being ordered to march the next morning at 7oh for Bridgport Tenn They ware turning over their tents and extra bagage and drawing Shelter or Dog Tents as the boys call them,
_______ we got ready to march but the order was countermanded but the order is to be ready to march at moments warning but we are still here and I think we will stay here for some time and we may stay here until the war is ended I dont beleive there will be another fight of any magnitude I would not be suprised if the first of may would be the end of the rebellion still I may be mistaken
I recieved yours of the 17th and 26th last Saturday I was glad to hear that you was well and the children was better if George had his arm reset I wold be very glad indeed I looked for a letter from you to day but was disipointed I think I shall get one tomorow or next day and I will answer immedatly I write this in last excuse brevityand errors
Your effectonat Companion
T Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Pen and ink seems to be fair.   Text lines seem to wander a bit though.   The envelope is addressed Mrs. T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp is in the upper right hand corner.   Postmark is dated Feb 3, '64 from Nashville, Tenn.
       Historial Note;
     Shelter "Dog" Tents - These were issued to all field Regiments about this time. Each man carried one half of a tent, each half was about 5' by 5 1/2' with buttons along three sides. In good weather two would be buttoned together. In bad weather 4 or 6 would. These replaced the 4 man A-Frame or 10 man Sibly tents. The advantage was the men didn't have to rely on the baggage wagons to catch up on the march for their tents. They had them with them. The downside was they were small, with no ends! At first many men refused them. After getting so many complaints Gen. Sherman ordered any Regiments who didn't accept them was to get no tents at all and just sleep in the rain. In time the men warmed to them.
From the collection of Ken Gough








Feb. 3, 1864
Nashville Feb 3rd / 64
Dear Kate The Pickets was relieved last night at twelveoh in order to get ready to march our regiment has no orders to march yet The probability is we will march to day or tromorow Mrs Janey and Ogan started home on last Sunday Mrs Bodkin is here yet Mrs Col Kenneth Mrs Fox and Mr Wilson is here also They are all going home as soon as we march
Lt E J Taterson is Capt of Company D We are all ready to march and we may go at any time and we may not go atal The box you talked about sending to me if you have sent it will have it forewarded to me by Edwin St John If you have not sent it dont sent it until I write for it Tell George Hitsman that I will pay him some money as soon as I draw my pay If An Conklin sells her house and lot I supose she will pay the mortgage If she does pay the money over to G M Hitsman I am well I hope this will find you all the same
Pg. 2
if we march you may not ere from me for too week I will write as soon as I have an opportunity to mail a letter I look for a letter from you today from your effecdtonate husband
T Thompson
P.S. We have just received orders from General Thomas not to move until we are relieved by the troops that will not very soon, send on the box If you have any monie that you can spare send me soe $20 or thirty dollars I think that we will be paid before we leave here

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Fair word formation with a good pen and ink help the reader.   Some bleed through.



Feb. 7, 1864
Nashville Feb the 7th - / 64
Dear Kate I received yours of the 1st yesterday evening Was glad to learn that you are all well as comon I expected to learn whith there could by anything done for Georges arm but was disipointed I am sorey to learn that Willies head has gothered again I fear he has the scroffly.
H have not received the box you sent me yet but I supose I will in a few days I have not been to the express office yet to see whether it has come or not I will go to day I am quite well indeed I think my health is as good as I ever had it in my life, we are still in Nashville Cant tell how long we will stay here but will stay until we are releived by another Brigade, The veterans are retuning from home now The 66th Ohio are in Nashville on their way to the front again I saw Benjamiane Ludluw yesterday He is assistant Surgion in the 66th Ohio I supose you have recived three letters from me since you wrote yours of the first The paymaster is in town and will pay us in a few days Then I will send you some
Pg. 2
Money by express or some other way Mr A. Athur is going home in a few days, and perhaps I will send it by him I guess he will sell out to some body if he can His wife is dissatisfied at home by herself Mrs. Bodkin Mrs. Foos and Mrs. Col Kenneth is still here all the rest of the ladies has gone home
the secret you wrote about tell her that I am glad to here that she has a prospect of some enjoyment in the future for I dont think she has had much lately, although she apears to enjoy herself some time, I glory in her spunk and hope she will get a man that treats her well.
Gave Ann and Aunt Blly my respects, and I would like very will to be present on the occasion Give my respects to one and all of the friends tell Mr Crosson it may be that I cab do some work for him this sprig or summer, Farewell I will write again in a few days, from your effectonate companion
T Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - This was a well written letter with good pen and ink.   The envelope is addressed Mrs. T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   There is a 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner.   The postmark is dated Feb 9 '64, Nashville, Tenn.









Feb. 11, 1864
Nashville Feb the 11th / 64
Dear Kate
I received yours of the 5th yesterday was glad to here you are all well I am well    I informed Mr Dudley of the deth of child he has not received a letter since it died    I have not receied the box you sent me yet but I think I will before we leave here    There is some talk of us going in a few days but we cant tell when we will go,
It apears from your letter that Johnathan dont wish to be bothered with the work in the shop this summer    I dont now who I can get to atend to it for me I would like to give some one a job of making coffins and taking them out it may be    Mr R. Willison would do it if so let me now I dont want to wrent the shop yet for it may be that I will be home before long to attend to it my self
I am glad to here that Allice is getting along so well at scholl My love to you and the children
Pg. 2
I get paid to day and I will send you some money either by express or by Andy Wiknsan in a few days
Good by
T Thompson
Catharene Thompson
I have written to Mr. Marsh in regard to the rent and there is 20 or 25 dollars coming to him and if he calls on you for the amount pay him
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A well written letter with good pen and ink.   The envelope is addressed Mrs. T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   There is a 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner.   Postmark is dated Feb. 12 '64 from Nashville, Tenn.









Feb. 18, 1864
Nashville Feb the 18th / 64
Dear Kate
I received yours of the 12th Also J R Hitsman of the 12th yesterday which informed me that the operation had been preformed on Georges are and was successful Nothing could of been received that would of gave me more greater joy then this " my mind is some what easy as regards that matter, it appears as though somethin was needed to be done to save him from being a cripple While should live, I hipe his are will not be stiff Write and let me now if the docter thought there was any danger of his are being stiff I received the box you sent and everything was in good order I sent you ($120) dollars on last Saturday to Goshen Pike Station ($25) dollars belonging to Mrs Dudley, I hop you have got the money by this time I have sold my dress coat to Mr Janney for ($20) dollars This is what it cost me I want a new coat
Pg. 2
as soon as I can get one I think I can get Major Clemment to bring it to me when he comes I will send my measure to Brother Thomas Thompson and get him to get the coat and get Major Clemments to bring it when he comes We are still in the same old camp and I think we will stay here for some time The money I sent you keep until the first of March unless you need it for your own use and then we will decide what we will do with it I think I will be paid again the first of March If so I want to send you what will make three hundred dollars with what I sent you this time I am well and in good spirits to what I have been for some time on account of Georges arm
My love to you and the children
Thorton Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Well written with good pen and ink.   Envelope is badly worn and is addtressed Mrs T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp is in the upper right had corner.   Postmark is hard to make out but seems to be dated Feb. 19 '64, Nashville, Tenn.



Feb. 21, 1864
Nashville   Feb the 21st / 64
Dear Kate,   I received yours of the 17th to day   I am glad to learn that you and the children are so well,   I hope George arm will soon be so he will have the use of it again   I have no doubt but it was a very severe operation, but I am very glad that we had it sone,   When I learned that it was done successfuly I was so glad that I almost jumped and Hallowed   I am glad to learn that you reieved the money I sent you all right   Use what you need and we will see if in a few weeks what we will do with the balance   I supose Moley Wilson is married and well of it   I think she has done well and I hope that they have both done well   I agree with you as regards to the green part   I think will be paid again in next month then I think I an send you two hundred dollars more, collect all the money you can, have you ever said any thing to Mr Floes about the money he owes e   If not see him   Mr Montgomery says he gave the ballance of the money for his wifes coffin
Pg. 2
to William Simington when he was at home last spring and he promises to pay it to you,   You had better see about it   He lives with his mother-in-law neare Dalesburge   I Elmer Codington comes home get that money from him if you can, let me now in your next letter whether there is any chance to get anyone to attend to the undertaking business, if we can not I supose we will have to rent the shop and herse to some one   I supose we hav made some money on the business since I left home, I want to hold on the busensss if I can, I think I will be home at least by next fall to attend to it myself, this war is not a going to last much longer   I an shure of this, it impossible in my openion in your next let me now how Georges arm is Whether it pains him much or not, and let me now what the prospect is in regards to that wedding you spoke about some time ago, and when the boys of the 17th expects to start back, I wrote to Brother Thomas to send me a coat by Major Clements and sent my measure to him   I sold my coat to Lt. Janney and I want a coat as soon as I can get it   You can see Thomas and if he can attend to it
Pg. 3
I want you or John to attend to it   I Spoke some thing about this matter in my letter to John few days ago   I though as Thomas was often in the city he would have a better chance to attend to it than you would   I send you another ring   I think it will fit you, I will write again in a few days   You had better present all the claims you have for coffins which you think there is no chance to collect to the trustees of the Township when they meet in March and see if they will pay them   They meet the first Monday in March   Good by for a few days
From your effectonate Companion
T Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Well written with a fine point pen in good condition.   Ink and paper also are good.   Envelope is addressed Mrs. T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp is in the upper right hand corner.   Postmark is hard to make out but seems to read Feb. 22 '64, Nashville, Tenn.







Feb 26, 1864
Muffreesboro Feb the 26th / 64
Dear Kate I left Nashville on the 24th and arrived at this place at 12oh to day The wether is very nice and warm The roads is some dusty
We marched about 12 miles a day I am standing the march very well I am well We are going to Bridgeport by the of Shelbyville which is 26 miles from this place and two days march I will write from that place I have not had a letter from you since yours of the 12th We hot our mail to day I was some what disapointed in not getting a letter
Mr James Picket came to our company the night before we started from Nashville He is with us He stands the prety well but complains of his feet some He had some money which he wanted to send home but could not get a chance to express it He gave me the money, he says his family needs the money I want you to pay her the twenty dollars and I will send it home when I am paid     As the mail goes out in a few minutes I must close
Pg. 2
My love to you and the children Farewell for a short time
T Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
       Letter Condition - Written in pencil that was kept fairly sharp.   Envelope addressed Mrs. T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co, Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner.   Postmarked Feb 27, 1864 from Murfreesboro, Ten.



Feb. 29, 1864
Morrom / Feb 29 / 64
       John Hitsman Sir
I was at Camp Dennison this morning and saw Capt Fose and he wished me to send word to you for to fetch the money to camp on the evening train for the new regiment for they are a going to muster them to day and they want their money
Rept yours
Thor Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Written in pencil that was not kept sharp.   Envelope addressed John Hitsman, Butlerville, Ohio.   In the upper left hand corner was pre-printed CINCINNATI, WILMINGTON and ZANESVILLE Rail Road..   In the lower left hand corner was pre-printed R.R.S.
     There is no stamp or postmark so I think it was shipped on the railroad bypassing the postal service.

No comments:

Post a Comment