Sunday, October 30, 2016

Jan. 1864

Jan. 1864
Jan. 3, 1864
Camp near Nashville Jan the 03th / 64
Dear Kate I received your most welcome letter yesterday    I am glad to here you are all well, I guess you forgot to write how Georges are and Willies head was getting    Please to write in in your next how they are getting for I am quite ancous to know, I am well I feel better and my health is as good at this time as it has been since I have been in the service      It appears from your letter you have been having very cold wether in Ohio, it has been very cold here for this climate but I have not suffered with the cold wether    I have not been on Picket but once since you went home    That was on Newyears Night, which was the coldest night we have had    I am commanding a detachmnt of the Seventy Ninth Regiment at present which consists of two Companies K and D    We are well fixed here and the duty is light on the men and on the Officers Has nothing to do but to atend to the affairs of the Companies      Capt Kicks started for home yesterday morning, l he thinks he will be
Pg. 2
in two or three weeks    He is talking of buying the Sutler out, I dont now how long we will stay here      We may stay here until next spring I think perhaps we will, I hope so at least for I would rather stay here than to stay in Nashville    Mrs Janney and Mrs Ogan is cooking for us and we are getting along very well    They send their respects to you, the wether has moderated here This has been a very pleasant day over head but is very mudy under foot      I took a walk to day around the Picket Posts and I saw some very nice forms, there has two citizens called to see me yesterday and to day and gave me very strong invitations to call and see them, which I think I will as soon as we get everything arranged here so I can leave I have been very busy since I have bee here    I have built me a chimney in my tent and it draws well      I wish you was here to sit by it with me    We would have a great deal pleasant time that you was at Nashville      I look some for a letter from you tomorow      We will have a mail here four or five times a week    You spoke about sending a letter by Mr St John Dont never send a letter by any one when you can send by mail    This is the surest was to send letters
Pg 3
I have been uneasy about your not having plenty of wood ever sunfer the cold wether set in but I supose you have wood plenty or you would of said something about it in your letter I hope you have hot suffered on acount of wood    Mrs Williams has the small pox    I dont now whether she is very bad or not    Two of Company D has got it but I think we will be clear of it now, I am glad we left the camp and for this reason    Give my respects to Mother Hitsman and the rest of the friends and the folks generaly    Do the best you can with the dog if you can sell him let someone have him that will take good care of him      I guess we have enough dishes for the mess, when you send the box send what please dont send any caned fruit unles it is in sodedred cans    The cans that is sealed with wax is very apt to bust    Send some hickory nuts if you send peaches can them in vinegar if you think the tin cans wont spoil the    Send me some nice Sorgam Molasis    Can it up in cans and some nice butter and anything you think relish write well    I will write again in this week Good by for a few days) Yours most effectonatly
Thorton Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A fine pen and no bleed through made this letter easy to read.
       Historical Note;
     Picket Duty – He would have been assigned charge of five or six picket posts. His camp would have been set up 3 or 4 hundred yards behind the line so he could respond to each as quickly as he could. 
     Sutler – A merchant authorised to sell to soldiers on a military post. Each regiment was allowed one. Not all regiments did as the profit margin was low contrary to what the soldiers thought. Prices may have been inflated but a limited customer base made this an unatractive venture at best. The Sutler would morph into the Post Exchange or PX of today.
     Tin Cans - This was still a relativly new and expensive process. He refers to 'Sodered Cans.' The way this was done was to seal teh contents and then heat the cans. A small hole in the top then had a drop of molten lead dropped on it and the can was allowed to cool. This would vacum pack the contents.
From the collection of Ken Gough
     Winter Quarters - Also known as 'Hutting up.'   This involves building low walls about 3 feet tall and pitching the tent on top, digging the inside down a foot or two and throwing the dirt against these walls.   This will help insulate the hut.   A rude fireplace is then dug beneath the wall and mud lined barrels are stacked up as a chimney. 








Jan. 5, 1864
Nashville Jan the 5th / 64
Dear Kate I seat myself this evening tenoh P.M. to inform you that I am well and I hope when theas few lines comes to had they may find you all enjouing good health Company D abnd K has orders to march tomorow morning at 6oh We are going about six miles up the Cumberland River to guard some ten thousand mules I look for a letter tomorow morning but cant tell when I will get it for fI do not now what facilties there will ge for getting the mail at the front where we are a going I cant tell how long we will stay Where we are going when you answer this let me now how George an is tell him I wat him to srite to me and I will answer I wont have any thing to do where I am going so I am glad to get away from this plade I send my love to you and all of the friend and especaly to Thomas Kelsy I write in much of a hury excuse hast writing and spelling I will write again in a few days
Pg. 2
Good by for a short time
Yours Effectonatly
T Thompson

       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Only fair word formation but with good ink and a mildly worn pen made this letter slightly difficult to read.   The envelope was addressed, Mrs T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp in the upper right hand corner with a poorly stamped post mark with the date of Jan. 7, 64.   I can't make out the city.







Jan. 12, 1864
Head Qu Detratchmenbt 79th Regt O.V.I.
Jan the 12th Tuesday morning 5oh
Dear Kate
I write you this morning in hast I am well and well satisfied with our new camp Capt Hicks got his papers yesterday He left the Company yesterday and will ge home in a few days I have commsnd of the detachment for the present and will have until Capt Williamson comes back which will ge some time I am very comfortabley fixed in camp I uilt me a chimney to my tent yesterday abd it draws firstrate I wich you was here with me now to sit by this spend fireplace I have nothing to do, now I could be with you all the time Mrs Ogan and Janney is cooking for us George went with Capt Hick We have no coon now I guess we will bge coon ourselves There is now news of importance here I have not received but one letter from you since you left here I was very much diapointed in not getting a letter
I think I will get a letter today, we are in the 11th Army Corps, and General Mard is comanding a Division and his head Qr is at Murfreesboro
Pg. 2
Col Harison is temporarly in command of our Brigade The 79th Ohio 105 Ill and 70th Ind is Brigaded together
I send my love to you and the children Give my respects to all the friends It has been very cold here since new years day Yours most effectonatly
T Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Poor word formation along with fair bleed through makes this letter a chalange.   The envelope is addressed No 6, Mrs. Thorton Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   There is no stamp.   Postmark is Jan 13, '64, Nashville, Tenn.




Jan. 17, 1864
Camp near Nashville Jan the 17th / 64
Dear Kate I received you most welcom letter yesterday
I am glad to learn that the famly are all and are getting along so I will
I supose you have got your butchering done and have lots of good things to eat I would like very much to be there to take tea with you some evening, I hope it will not be long before I will ge permited to do so,
and I think it will not be long for this infernal rebelion is very near played out I think six months more will end the war It looks so to me I am glad to here that you have not suffered for wood during that very cold wether I supose it has moderated there by this time for it has moderated here and is very windy though the day it rained a little last night but it is colder to day and looks soon like as if it might snow Colonel Korrison is commanding our Brigade at present and Capt Dinlavy is acting Brigade Qer Master
Pg. 2
that is he is Brigade Qer Master on Col Korsision staff that leaves but four Captians commanding Companies in the 79th Regiment Give my respects the boys from the 12th Regiment and to Mr J Brown alsoI would like very to be there with them but it appears as though I cant, Il be along some theas days and take you by suprise
Capt West is going to resign and dont now, but he has sent in his sisrgnations I would not be suprised if I would be a Capt some of thease days before long if all the old Captains resign
We are getting along first rate here now we havent any thing much to do We have been building a stabel for our team to day We put in some forks and laid some poles across and wether borded it with cain, and expect the mules will eat it down to night
The ladies here senbd their respects to you and they wish every day that Mrs Thompson was here
Lt Taterson is with Company E now but I dont supose he will stay with the company long I think perhaps he will get a positon in the Agt General Corps He has
Pg. 3
recomended to be put in that Corps In my last letter I (wrote) mentioned some thing which you might send me, if you dont send the box before you get this you may send me some dried fruit, peaches and apples and I want you to send me a clothes brush Send me the old one that you have and buy a new noe for your own use, I am sorey that Mr Harper has treated me so ungentlemany about furnishing your winter room I dont think a man could be guilty of a mener act that to promise me as he did to furnish wood sure and then do it when he new that I wanted to be sufe of having the wood there so you would not have the wood to look after I told him this when I engaged the wood of him, I want you to see him and find out how much wood he hauled to you and then settle with him at $575 cts per cord anbd dont pay him any more for that is what he agreed to furnish the wood for,
I expect you had better present that Philips claim to the trustees or get Johnithan to do it as he was
Pg. 4
the claim that is if it has not been paid You spoke about the pistol if you can get ten or twelve dollars for it sell it
My love to you and the children Give my respects to all the friends and esspecially Molley I want you to give Molley a present for staying with the children and keeping house while you was gone,
When you send the box have it marked the same as you direct your letters, tell John that I am well pleased with the pen, I wouldent take five dollars for it I think it is the pest pen I ever wrote with Good by for a day or two and will write again
I remain your effectonate Companion
T Thompson
Catarene Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition- Fair word formation along with an attempt to break the letter into paragraphs helps this letter.







Jan. 17, 1864
Jan the 17th / 64
Dear Katie As I have a chance to send this to Nashville tomorow I will write you a short leter mostly to let you now that I am well, the wether has been quite disagreabl for a day or two it rained all day yesterday and last night and if snowing now, I dreamed last night of being with you at home but when I woke up I was sadly disapointed to find myself in the same old tent, but still it pleasant to dream of being at home with you, Notwithstanding it is quite a disapointment when I woke I find it nothing but a dream I think I shall get tomorow from you, I am quite ancious to get the mail although it hasent been bugt a few days since I heard from you I have not got the letter you sent by St John yet, I have ho news to write about at this time, my lover to you and the children and my respects to all teh friends
Yours most affectionatly
T Thompson
Some say we will not be paid until the last of next month I have not got what money loned and I am about straped
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - For the most part the word formation is good.  Some smearing of the ink indicates that it was brushed, likely with his hand, while the ink was still wet.






Jan. 27, 1864
Camp near Nashville   Jan the 27 / 64
Dear Compainion
     I received yours of the 22ond and and 24th both to day which is the only letter I have received since the one you wrote on the 13th   I am truly glad to here from you but am sorey here that the children is unwell and I am very sorey to here that Georg arm is in the condition it is in   I have been oneasey about his arm ever since I learned that it was stiff   I fear that it is to late to do anything for it   You spoke of going to Cincinati to see if anything can be done with his arm   I supose the surgons there, can tell whether it can be reset or not and I leave it to them if they think that it can be done successfuly   I would be much pleased to have it done and if the operation is preformed   I will be present if possible but there is a prospect of us moving at present   Where to I dont now but I will come if there is any possible chance   If the docter thinks that operation will ensure the use of his arm I think it ought to be preformed as soon as possible
Pg. 2
and if I cant be there I leave it to you and the docter what is best you you spoke about telegraphing to me in regard to the matter   It may be that we will leave here before the dispach arives   If I am I will answer by dispach, and if and if you dont get an answer you may now that we have moved to some other point, and if it is necessary that the operation be preformed immediatly dont wait for me or an answer,   I supose that you have sent a box of provision to me by this time or will before you receive this   If you havent sent it dont send it until you here from me again for there may be soe trouble to get it   If we should move from here   As for money I will try and get along   If get to see Mr St John before we leave here I can get some money of him until we are paid
I am glad to here of the men of the 17th Regiment being at home   I supose I supose those in the 74th will be at home before you get this letter for they was in Nashville on Tuesday   I hope the citizens will give them all a warm reception   I think they are entitled to it and no doubt but they will receive it esspecialy from those that are true Loyelest to the government and those that support the administration
Pg. 3
Those that oppose the administration in all it acts in trying to crush this rebelion is a Sesesh and a Tory   We have plenty of such Union men as this in Teninsee, they say that they are Union men and always was, Provided they can have it thiny just to suit them, if they cannot they are rebels and that is the way with a great many men in the north   I believe there is some men that prayes for the down downfall of the government because Old Abe is President   I hope when I receive your net the children mg be better, this is the third letter I have writen to you this week   If we get orders to move I will write before we start, if you have twenty dollars you can spare and you have a good chance to send it to me you may make arrangments to send to send it and if I dont need it I will send you word inb a short tie, Good by for a short time
From you effectonate Companion
T Thompson
Catharine Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good word formation with a fine pen and good ink make this letter very readable.   The envelope is addressed Mrs T Thompson, Butlerville, Warren Co., Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp is in the upper right hand corner and the post mark is dated Jan. 30 '64, Nashville, Tenn.




Jan. 27, 1864
     Camp near Nashville   Jan the 27th / 64
Dear Kate   Again seat myself to write and my letter will be as I said in my last shirt and suit for there is no news.
     I am well and I hope this may find you and children well and getting along as well as common.
     The wether is still warm and pleasant   The mud is almost dried up, so we can get out from camp and look at the country   There is some very nice plantations in this  vicinity
     I got a horse and road out in the country about two miles, I road up on top of a hig nob, which is said to be 180 ft high that the top of the steple of the state house   I had a splended view of the country   I could see as far as my eyes could see in every direction   It said that the Cumberland Mountains can be seen from this nob   When it is clear and their is no smoke the man that owns the nob road with me and he is a very clever and sociable and in apearance a gentleman, but he is a rebel sympathiser after all, conciquintly we
Pg. 2
did not agree   I conversed with him for some time in is own house on political matters   In some things we very nearly agreed   In our opinions in other we did not   He asked me this question   If I thought if McClellen anbd old abe was the candates for Presidency which I thought would be elected   I promptly replied that Old Abe would, he didnt apear to that he would
     This man has a splended residence and seventeen hundred acres of beautiful land   His deweling cost forty thousand dollars   I supose the man before the war broke out was worth five hundred thousand dollars   He told me that he had been injured to the amount of two hundred thousand dollars
     I supose this is the way he is getting his southern rights   He had 80 negros and now he has two or thee little ones runing around   One of them has a wooden leg
     My love to you and the children   My respects to all the friends and the neighbors generaly
T Thompson
Catharin Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - It looks like he tried to take his time with this one.   Fair word formation with a few florishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment