Sunday, October 30, 2016

March 1864

March 1864

March 3, 1864
Camp 79th O.V.I.
Sunday morning March the 3rd / 64
Dear Kate   I seat myself this this morning to write to you to let you now that I am well and I hope this may find you and the children in better health than when I last heard from you   I have not had a letter from you since yours of the 24th but I expect one to day.   The mail train has just passed and I will not finish this until I see if I get a letter   I have no news to write   I will send a ring made of Larcll root that I got on Lookout mountain
The mail has come and I received your letter which was writen last Sunday,   I am glad to learn that the children is all on the mend   I hope by this time they are all well   You speak about that lot of Morsbachs if John has the money to spare tell him to buy the lot for me   I think that we will be paid for four months soon and then I will
Pg. 2
send money enough money home to pay for the lot   Tell him I want the lot if he can furnish the money until I am paid   Give Morsback his price for it   Get it with his share of the grain if he can if not give him the price anyhow   I am glad that Unkle Charles is a going to be with you this summer   Perhaps you can get him to make the garden and tend for you if he is not a going to have a stedy job this summer   I would rather you would not work out doors if you can help it   Give my respects to Unkle Charles and all the rest of the friends   My love to you and the children
From your effectionat Husband
T Thompson
I dont think that Andrew would do to cary on the shop alone   He could take the coffins out but I dont think he can trim and make them we will try and get
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Word formation and pen is only fair but this letter is not hard to read.






March 6, 1864
March the 6th / 64
Dear Kate   I received yours of the 26th to day, Sunday we are in camp two mile north of Stevenson   We have been on the march twelve days   We will get to Bridefort tomorow  I dont think we will stop there long   I think we will stop in Lookout Vally   I gave Mr Andly twenty dollars when he left for home which I supose you have received befor this time   I have not time to give you the details of the march at this time but will as soon as we stop long enough to do so, you can send the coat by St John or Cretors or any one you please that is coming to the regiment   Send me two shirts by Mr Dudley make them large and long and of good flannel   I expect you had better send to the city and get some lumber   Send as soon as you can and then get some green as soon as you can get good lumber  I dont think there is any chance for a fight with the rebles in this section give my respects to all the friends and a letter from any of them will always be exeptable
Pg. 2
my health is very good and I am standing the march very well   I want to know how George arm is getting along
From your effectonate Companion
T Thompson
Farewell for a few days
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Written in pencil that was not kept sharp but still very readable.








March 6, 1864
Home Martinsville   March 6, 64
       Mrs Thompson       Dear Frend
                                                                             I am safely art home and after so long a time have called myself to write to you, I had never intended
Bad Line can't Decipher
ever strangers again, for their are too many clear ties conected with our short stay together to be_____ly _____ed and easily forgotten   When first we met we were strangers but how quickly did a social tie bind me to you and I feld a naear___fs in our hearts for our sympathies for each other we're in the same channel and had both enlisted in the same cause that of visiting the nearest the fondest and dearest on earth to us.   Our trip together was a pleasant one although my sickness in a great measure prevented my enjoyment
     The happiest moment of my life where I found him in my arms at the depot   The evening we arrived at Nashville I was sorry you had to leave us so soon
Pg. 2
for I am sure you would have enjoyed yourself with Mrs _______ and I in our rural home on th banks of the Cumberland with our husband, and we would have loved your company but these are past times now   I only look _______ they as a say dream and try to banish them as a day dream anbd try to banish them necessary for sad the right come gracefully crowding _____ me and I _______ to brush a tear that unbidden will start for the past has been so changing, and the future seems so clouded to me, I have not been well since I came home   Camp Diarhea still follows me and liver complaint I hope you are well and enjoying yourself with your little family   Those in your little boys arm   What did you have done with it   Lieut was expecting you to telegraph for him to meet you in Cincinati   When I left Dixie, how do you _____ your time   I suppose not, so dully as I do for I have no work to do as there is no on at home but Mother and I   Both my sisters are away   Father has gone to Illinois   Will be gone three months   I received a letter from Mrs Ogan last Tuesday tor first since _______ home
Pg. 3
the news well complained of haveing _______ _____ in company _____ _____ for myself for I have it only when alone   Have you heard from Lieut lately   They are almost to their journeys end by this time   Capt. West is at home and says our boys were ordered to Chatanooga, Steve dose not say that they were but says they were going to Bridgport   I dread this summer   I know it will be one of toil for therm all an well as my dear husband, I got well aquanted withy your husband after we moved up the river   I found him to be very socable and common   He wasnt in his manners   In fact I almost loved all the Company D, boys   They were so pleasant   Orderly is a fine fellow   I think I have to _______ when ever I seenhis photograph   It is so natural and looks as though it would laugh right out, you know he used to laugh so much we had great times with Capt Wells baking biscut we only did it when we wanted them ourselves but we were so afraid of him when he would scold us Mr Thompson   I supoose has told you all about the mule pen and its surroundings
Pg. 4
as we were leaving it we came in our caarriage to Nashville on our way we stopped at Mont _______ ______ tery   Mrs Teel the _____lot wher Toheoffers body rests, the rebel General Killed by Colonel Tory___ had teh pleasure of seeing him but he was a __________ sight and reminded me of the horrors of this dreadful rebelion   Mrs Bodkin I suppose will have to give up camp life for the present.   Have you heard from her latley   Mrs Davidson had to give up her house at last   It was taken for rest hospital for small pox   What do you think it will close soon   I get almost entirely dishartened sometimes but I fear I look too much on the dark side of the picture   Write soon and excuse all mistakes   I remain your friend L. W. Ginny
Direct to Martinsville, Clifton Co Ohio
Mrs. Kate Thomposn
Written in the margin at the top of page 4
I am agoing to write to Steve to day I still direct to Nashville Tenn
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Letter was written with a fine point pen and poor ink.   Paper was ruled sideways for a folded letter.   Envelope was addressed Mrs Thorton Thompson, Butlerville, Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp is in the upper right hand corner.   Postmark is dated Mar 7 from Martinsville, Ohio.







March 7, 1864
March the 7th / 64
Dear Kate I seat myself this evening to write a few lines in answer to yours of the 1st of March which I received to day We are in camp near Bridgeport Al I expect we will stay here a day or two a part of The 17th Regt passed here to day on their return to duty I did not see ay of them I dont know whether any of the men from our neighborhood was with them or not We started from Nashville on the twenty fourth of February and arrived here on the the 7th of March We encountered some very bad roads and some tall hills I supose we will move in a day or two to Lookout Valey
I am glad to learn that you and the children are well Also to learn that Georgs arm is doing so well I am well with the exception of a little cold which dont amount to much
I want you to send me a good piece of Casteel soap by Mr Dudly when he comes back to the regiment Send me a good sized piece I will write again in a day or two Did you get the ring I sent you all right You can send my anything you see fit by H St John when he comes I supose he will bring my coat
Pg. 2
His boys got along with the Sutler shop all right and are with us now I supose Lt will come here soon Our Sutler getting out at Tulahoma and through ensty from there I dont beleve he will ever get goods though to the front All the other Sutlers of this Brigade played out but St Johns Give St John my respects and all the friends generaly
Yours effectonatly
T Thompson
We are expecting Morgan here to night If he comes he will get a duel of a whipen
                                This is a rumor
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Written in a fair pen and Ink.
     He talks of the 17th Regt. (O.V.I.) returning to duty.   This Regiment has just gone through the Veteran re-enlistment process.   All the soldiers that signed up for another three years were paid $300 dollars Veterans Bounty and given a 30 day Veterans Furlough.   The men who did not were normally sent to another Regiment during this time ad reunited with their fellow soldiers on their return.   They would serve until the expiration of their term and be discharged.
       Historical Note;
     Casteel (sic) soap - This was a high end soap made not with animal fates but with Olive Oils.







March 11, 1864
March the 11
Aby Terined
CAtherine   This morning finds me trying to se___ you a few lines to let you know that we got moved and all fix up,   There was another nof her last week there  was an aban billd and one badly wounded the mohisia went out at six oclock in the eaving and staid out till next day about 11 oclock, I wish you would ____ me _______ Abe bot _______ _______ I am afraid not and I wante to know if they hav gon back I suppose that _____ has but Abey time I _______ nothing about it write to _____ the moste _______ _______ from there
 If you _ainte
Pg. 2
time to write tell Abey __el to write I want you to write _____ if you can liy promist to write bugt of donte hear nothing a bout it any _____ want to know something about Martha Jame where she is and what she is doing if she is a fout ther tel her to write to me
I believe that I dont know anny thing more anbd this _____ very interesting if you hear of any one that visits to buy a house let us know perhaps the _______ visits to buy she asked me what we asked for ourn if she dose tel her that we will take three hundred and fifty dollars for it
Pg. 3
Well write soon I must quit
George you can write if you please
We are well No more write soon yours truly
Lizze Clemmer
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Written with a good pen and ink.   However word formation is very poor.   Envelope is addressed Mrs Catharine Thompson, Butlerville, Ohio.   A 3 cent stamp is in the upper right hand corner.   Postmark is dated Mar 12 '64 from Dayton, O.







March 13, 1864
March the 13th 1864
Dear Kate I seat myself this afternoon to converse with you a few moments by letter I have just returned from a visit to the top of Lookout Mountain and I am very much fategued I went up the mountain in forty five minutes by my watch The mountain is twenty four hundred feet high I had a splended view of the country for miles around I _______ _____ _____ _____ if been with me then _____ from the State House in Nashville is no comparsion to the view from Point Lookout The road I came down the mountain I had to climb down two ladders to get down off the roads
We are in camp five miles South West of Chattanooga near the railroad and expect to stay here for some time Mr Dudley will get off the catrs at the first this side of Chattanooga I beleve the view call it Wanhatcha It is head question
Pg. 2
of the 11th Corps if the train should stop to wood the cars get off within a half mile of our camp If he goes to the station he will be two miles above our camp The wood is at the junction of the Trintor and Chattanooga Railroad and he had better get off at this place if he can
I am well and I hope this will find you all enjoying the same blessing I received your letter yesterday We moved camp yesterday Consiquintly I did answer until today I learn from your letter that John has been commisioned as Captain in a Colored Regiment If they will give me a Commision for Major I will except it in the same Regiment Tell John to srite to me if there is any chance for me Let me now if John has gone to his Regiment and give me his adress if you can Let me now whether Dr Bishop has moved or not Pay him what I owe him if you have the money to spare
Send my coat by St John
Pg. 3
I thank you for the good advice you gave me in your last letter I have resolved to quit the service and as for drinking whiskey I have not tasted it since you left me and I dont expect to unless it is prescribed as a medison I want you to try to to ask George and John not to swear and keep them from learning wicked practices I want them to attend Sunday school and church whenever it is conveniant and want them to behave like men _______ then atend Ohios _____ _____ _____ want them to go to church and stay out of doors not ge running out and as some boys do when they go to church We had church to day for the first time since we started from Nashville We formed _____ order in our church here I supose than you do in Butlerville
Give my respects to all the friends and neighbors My love to you and the children I send you a small broach of pine which plucked from in a tree on for you moment to day
Pg. 4
Farewell for a few days I shall write almost every day when we get settled I have not got my resignation arranged yet this acounts for the pencil
Yours effectonataly
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Poor word formation combined with a badly faded letter made this one hard to read.
       Historical Note;
     Colored Regiment - Properly called United States Colored Troops or U.S.C.T's.   As during the Civil War there were no Black officers in the standing army, white Officers were offered promotions if they transferred to U.SC.T. Regiments.
     Pencil - He hots at the end of teh letter that he had to write in pencil because his desk wasn't set up.   Pencils were more expensive but because he was a low grade Company Officer he had to fill out forms on the go and sometimes in the dark.   Thus pencils were the answer.   Think about it.   How can you walk around, in the dark, using a pen and ink?
     Wood the Cars - Most trains at this time used wood, not coal, for fuel.   In this area most of this would have been Yellow Pine.   This wood is heavy with pitch.   This leaves a heavy soot on the inside of the firebox building to the point that the heat exchange is very poor.   Cleaning this was a major maintanince issue.   If it was not done more wood would be needed to drive the train and also this coating could catch fire overheating the system.









March 19, 1864
March the 19th / 64
Dear Companion
I received yours of the 12th of March yesterday which informed me that the family was all well except Alis and I am glad that she is having the meesles so light I supose the children will all have the measels I hipe thy may all get along as well as Alice has I am well with the exception of a bad cold I am detached on special duty at this time Superintending the building of a Brigade bakery and commisary which will be completed in about five days from this time
We have got our camp arranged and in good We have just got our tent fixed up in good order with bunks fireplace S.C.I. We have a Grand Review of this Brigade to day by General Howard I think we will be here for some time Perhaps for two months
Pg. 2
As I have to report for duty at 8oh I will have to close
My respects to one and all of the friends, My love to you and the Children
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - A good pen and fair word formation made this letter easy to read.   The ink was a little runny but not bad.
     The building of a bakery was done whenever the army settled into a fixed camp for a month or more.   Fresh bread couldn't be issued when on the march as it tended to spoil in just a few days.   Army bread (Hardtack) was the staple for up to nine months of the year.
     The Grand Review would have followed Dress Inspection where all the men's equipment was checked.   This was done once a week, usually on Sunday morning.   The Grand Review was a chance for visiting Generals to look over how the Brigade moved under the control of its Officers.
   






March 23, 1864
March the 23rd / 64
Dear Kate I seat myself this evening to answer yours of the 16th which I received today Your letter informed me that the children was all sick and you think it was the measels I hope if it is they may all get along with them as well as Alice has
If any of them gets very sick I want you to let me now if as soon as possible If dangeros telegraph You speak about George being better I dont understand what you mean for I have not heard of his being sick Perhaps it is his are you alude to If so inform me in your next letter You speak of John going into the service If he gets able to stand the service I supose the had his commision and reported for duty From what you stated in your last letter I supose Mr Trice has gone to take command of colorerd company as a Lieutenant and I hope he may do well
I was very sorrey to learn that little Eunice
Pg. 2
Roll was dead I remember that she was at our house playing with Alice when I was at home,
I want you to get some one to help you for I fear you will get sick yourself    Try to get someone as soon as possible Take care and not let them get cold if possible I have been very busy for the last week I will get through with my job in a few days I would of written two days sooner but I was expecting a letter from you, and I sould of received your letter two days before I did I expect to receive another letter from you tomorow, I hope I will, I supose Mr Dudly will be here a Friday or Saturday and then I will get my shirts and soap I supose St John will be here in a few days and then I will get my coat I almost wish I hadnt got it, but I supose I will have use for it eve here at the front for the officers puts on a great deal of stile here If they children dont get along well with the measles I am a going to ask for a Leave of Absence and if they get very sick the if they refuse it I will resign
Pg. 3
and come home
You wanted to now what I done with all my things I brought all of them with me except the chairs Them I gave to the Hospital in the Batery I will send Mr Marsh a letter when I get ready in answer to his letter He thinks I ought to pay him fourth dollars and I think it is to much What do you think about it, but that is conciderable less than he wanted last winter I want to settle it with him without any difficulty and when I here from him I will let you now what I do, but if you see him and he is willing take thirty dollars pay him the money if you have it I sent twenty dollars to you by Dudly which you dont say anything about receiving He hadnt enough money to take him home and I gave him twenty dollars and he said he would hand it to you as soon as he got home This was the money that I got of James Pocket
Mr Janney sends his respects and he wants his wife to visit you soon My love to you and the children Good by for a day or two
Pg. 4
Give my respects to one and all
Yours effectonatly
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good pen and ink combined with fair word formation made this letter easy to read.
     Catherine had told him that John wants to join the army.   I take it she means their son.   At this time he would be nine years old.   He could join as a musician at this age with his parents permission.   Thorton is just coming off the back side of a winter in an army camp and battle dangers notwithstanding he knows the hardships involved.   But he is also seeing, in his mind, the end of the war.   So he tasidly gives his permission, I'm sure hoping it will all be over before his son gets into a Regiment.
       Historical Notes;
     Colored Regiment - Properly called United States Colored Troops or U.S.C.T's.   As during the Civil War there were no Black officers in the standing army, white Officers were offered promotions if they transferred to U.SC.T. Regiments.




March 25, 1864
March the 25th / 64
Dear Kate I seat myself this morning to converse with you a few moments by letter
I am well I have got over my cold and I feel very well again I can eat my full rations again and a little more    I hae not received a letter since I wrote you but expect to get one today
I look for Mr Dudly today    I think he will arive to day if he startes last Tuesday    If he has not been detained on the road    I forgot to tell you in my last letter about the snow storm we had here on the 22ond of this month    The snow fell to the depth of about fourteen inches      This will do prety well for the s_____y fourth in the month of March    I think it rained yesterday all day and the snow has all disapeared except on the north side of the mountains    It is very muddy this you now makes it very disagreable in camp, you know this by experiance    I feel very ancious to here from home as the childrn was all sick when you last wrote
Pg. 2
I hope they are all getting along well with the measels This is a short letter but I will write again tomorrow if I receive a letter today
From your effectonat husband
T Thompson
Did you finish the coffin for William Lytle      If so how much is the bill George Waits says he will pay the bill if it is not price    Have you ever saw William Sunington about the balance of the money on the bill of Mrs Montgomery coffin
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition- Even with a fair pen and poor ink this letter was easy to read.








March 27, 1864
March the 27th / 64
Dear Kate Mr Cucly arrived here on Fridy evening    He was here when I wrote yesterday morning but did now it until now I went away to my work before he came to my quarters but when I came to my dinner the things you sent me was in my quarters    Also the letter you sent by him which informed me that the children was all sick and some of them it apears is very sick    I want you to telegraph to me if they are not better as soon as you get this   Telegraph to Lookout Station Tennessee if you think they are dangerous I went to the Colonel as soon as I read the letter and informed him of the condition of my family and it apears as though he thought there was not much probability of me getting a Leave of Absince as there was seven applications before mine and all on the same grounds I then told him I would send in my
Pg. 2
resignatiuon He said he could not forward until I received a certificate of indebtiness to the Ordanance department which will take time    I will send on for the certificate to day and if my family is still sick when I get it I will resign If I an I want you to keep this a secret I hope by the time reaches you the children will be better   Tell Alice and Flora the way they sent me wax was excelant I look for a letter to day and I will not send this until I see whether I get one or not Well the mail has come and np mail or letter for me I will finish this and send it to the office I am well and I hope I shall remain so My respects to all the friends, my love to you and the children I sent George a magazine some time ago and John a paper    Have the ever received them
T Thompson
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good Pen, ink, and word formation made this an easy letter to read.
     By this time Thorton is discouraged with army life in general but dosen't want to resign as he feels this would be dishonorable.   He is no using any problem at home for an excuse to possibly resign but each time he hands in there and stays.



March 30, 1864
March the 30th / 64
Dear Kate I received yours of the 24th yesterday    I was glad to learn that the children was some better and I hope by the time you received this they well be still better if not entirely well    I am well and plenty to eat, the molases you sent me we used on the march It lasted us until we got to Bridgeport    The paches and apples that is the dried fruit we have used since we came here    The last can of peaches we eat last week, Capt Tatersore got a small box last week which he received some canned fruit and a very nice large cake    We are still at the same place and I think we will stay here for some time    From the note I recived with yours from John Hitsman I supose he is with his regiment    He spoke about buying Clemmins property    Tell him to buy the property    I think he better then he would not be trubled about moving his family while he is gone    I think the property is worth that money    I will write to Clemmins in a few days and tell him not to sell the property until he heres from me and I would like to here from John if he has considered to buy the property
Pg. 2
it would suit me very well if John would buy the property for them      I would not have to move the shop off the lot    I am going to ask for a Leave of Absence but I have not much hope of getting it    I wish to now if Elminor Codington has come home and whether the whole regiment reenlisted or not      I supose there will be some changes made in the military department soon, it is hard to tell when we will go when we will move again
My opinion is that Grant means to take Richmond the first place and if he has men enough he will in my opinion move all army at the same time   My respects to all the friends My Love to you and the children
I remain your effectionat Husband
T Thompson
P.S. Pleas to inform John Hitsman of what I write in regard to the Clemmin property as soon as possible I would write to him myself but I dont know his address
       My Thoughts
     Letter Condition - Good pen and ink along with fair word formation made this an easy letter to read even with minor bleed through.
       Historical Notes;
       Tin Cans - This was still a relatively new and expensive process. He refers to 'Sodered Cans.' The way this was done was to seal the contents and then heat the cans. A small hole in the top then had a drop of molten lead dropped on it and the can was allowed to cool. This would in effect vacum pack the contents.
From the collection of Ken Gough


No comments:

Post a Comment